Due to border restrictions resulting from COVID-19, this scholarship is not currently available for S1, 2021. This scholarship has been superseded by the following scholarships:
* Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for International Students (New Zealand)
* Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for International Students (Online)
|Eligible students||International undergraduate Health Sciences students at the University of Otago|
|Value||NZ$5,000–$10,000 for tuition fees|
|For how long||12 months|
|For study beginning in|| |
Semester 1 (February) 2021 or semester 2 (July) 2021
|Application dates||Opening date: 1 May 2020 for semester 1 and 2 |
Closing date: 31 October 2020 for semester 1, and 30 April 2021 for semester 2
Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarships for international students welcome, support and recognise the very best international students enrolling in an undergraduate degree in Health Sciences at the University of Otago. The scholarships recognise academic excellence, diversity, and leadership potential in supporting high-achieving students in their studies. The scholarships are also designed to support those students best placed to make a positive impact on society in their future careers.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- International students who are not New Zealand citizens or permanent residents; and
- Who have completed:
- Their final year of secondary school overseas or in New Zealand achieving a University Entrance qualification equivalent to NZQA Level 3, or
- A recognised overseas pre-matriculation course equivalent to NZQA Level 4; or
- The University of Otago’s Foundation Year; and
- Are eligible apply for, and are intending to enrol for full-time study in one of the following programmes:
- Health Sciences First Year (HSFY)
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences (BBiomedSc)
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (BHealSc)
- Bachelor of Dental Technology (BDentTech)
- Bachelor of Oral Health (BOH)
There is no formal scholarship application process. Recipients will be advised of the scholarship in their Offer of Place.
Recipients currently studying at high school in New Zealand will be advised of the scholarship in early October.
Other recipients, including those abroad, will be advised of the scholarship in their Offer of Place.
The professional programmes (BOH, BDentTech) have a different programme application process, with applications closing 15 September. Scholarship recipients will be advised after that date.
Selection of scholarship recipients is at the discretion of the University of Otago.
In addition, the following applies to these scholarships:
- This scholarship may be held concurrently with another University of Otago Entrance Scholarship where the regulations specifically permit concurrent tenure, or the Offer Letter specifically permits concurrent tenure. Any variation of concurrent tenure will be at the discretion and with the written permission of the University of Otago.
- No concurrent tenure is normally permitted with the University of Otago New Frontiers Entrance Scholarship.
- This scholarship is redeemable only as a tuition fee rebate.
- Deferral of the scholarship is not normally possible. However, there may be exceptions related to COVID-19.