|Eligible students||International students commencing a master’s degree (coursework or research), honours degree, or postgraduate diploma at the University of Otago, living in New Zealand, or studying online (subject to programme availability), in 2022.|
|Value||NZ$10,000 for tuition fees|
|For how long||12 months|
|For studying beginning in|| |
Semester 1 (February) 2022 or semester 2 (July) 2022
|Application dates||Opening date: 1 May 2021 for semester 1 and 2 |
Closing date: 10 December 2021 for semester 1, and 30 April 2022 for semester 2
Otago International Excellence Scholarships welcome, support and recognise the very best international students commencing a master’s degree (coursework or research), honours degree, or postgraduate diploma in Business, Humanities or Sciences, at the University of Otago. These merit-based scholarships recognise academic excellence, diversity, and leadership potential in supporting high-achieving students in their studies. The scholarships are also designed to support those students best placed to make a positive impact on society in their future career.
To be considered for a scholarship, students must be:
- International students who are not citizens, permanent residents or resident visa holders of New Zealand or Australia*; and
- Applying to study an eligible master’s degree (coursework or research), honours degree, or postgraduate diploma in Business, Humanities, or Sciences; and
- Have met the award level for the scholarship; and
- Are subject to paying international tuition fees; and
- Are intending to commence full-time study in that programme in 2022.
Eligible programmes offered by Business, Humanities or Science are:
- Masters (coursework)
- Masters (research)
- Postgraduate diploma
The following programmes are not eligible for this scholarship:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Digital Health (PGDipDigHeal)
For students outside of New Zealand, the programme must also be available via:
- Distance learning
- Online learning (programmes temporarily offered online due to COVID-19)
Students will be assessed for a scholarship on application for their programme and recipients will be advised of their scholarship in the Offer of Place.
Selection of scholarship recipients is at the discretion of the University of Otago.
- This scholarship is redeemable only as a credit towards tuition fees.
- Eligible students must have an Offer of Place for full-time study in an eligible postgraduate programme. The Master of Business Administration (MBA) is not an eligible programme.
- International students currently studying, and due to complete, undergraduate degrees at the University of Otago are eligible.
- Deferral of the scholarship is not normally possible.
- The scholarship applies for one year of study only, for a student’s first enrolment in that programme.
- The scholarship can only be awarded to a student once, even if they were to enrol in a second eligible programme.
- This scholarship will not appear on the recipient’s academic transcript.
- Payment of the scholarship for recipients who commence their full-time study at the University of Otago in semester 2 and intend to enrol in full-time study at the University of Otago in semester 1 in the following year, will normally receive half the scholarship amount when they commence their study in semester 2 and the remaining amount when they recommence in semester 1 the following year.
- The Scholarship cannot be held in conjunction with a University of Otago Coursework Master’s Scholarship or Master's Research Scholarship.
- The Scholarship may be held with another scholarship as long as this is permitted within the regulations of the other scholarship(s). It is the responsibility of the recipient to declare multiple scholarships to the University of Otago.
- Students sponsored by their home Government or the New Zealand Government are not eligible for this scholarship.
- In order for the scholarship to be applied, recipients must be enrolled and studying the degree stated in the Offer of Place.
- If the student is not able to commence their studies by the enrolment date stated in their Offer of Place, the scholarship is no longer valid. If the student’s enrolment is moved to a subsequent start date, they will be reassessed for the scholarship to ensure they are still eligible.
- Recipients agree to reasonable requests from the University of Otago to appropriately represent the University and the scholarship.
- The University of Otago may, at any time, suspend or terminate the scholarship, or require the forfeiture of such proportion of the scholarship as the University of Otago may determine, if it is not satisfied that the recipient is enrolled and studying full-time, full-year, and diligently pursuing a full-time, full-year programme, or if the recipient has brought the University of Otago or the scholarship into disrepute.
- Upon the termination of a student’s enrolment for any reason, including his or her withdrawal, entitlement to scholarship funding shall be cancelled. In such circumstances, the University may also require repayment (in part or full) of any scholarship payments already made.
* Australian citizens, permanent residents and resident visa holders may be eligible for this scholarship if they are residing outside of New Zealand at the time of study, as they would then be subject to paying international fees.