Please do not contact this university directly.
For all enquiries please contact the Exchange Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated April, 2017
Students should apply for study at one faculty only.
It may be possible to also complete courses at another faculty (for example, to complete your University of Otago degree) but this would be at the discretion of the International Office at the University of Amsterdam.The University offers a combination of semester and full year papers. All international programmes are conducted in English.
- Academic Year: September – July
- First Semester: September-February
- Second Semester: February-July
Course Load and Minimum Unit Requirements
- Minimum Course Load: 30 ECTS per semester
- Maximum Course Load: A standard course consists of 42 points per year, much the same as at Otago. Courses range from 5 to 10 ECTS points each.
Accommodation and the Cost of Living
Accommodation is scarce, so contact the International Office earlier rather than later. Part-time work is readily available, both in the campus bars and restaurants, and in Amsterdam itself. There is no campus 'living area' as at Otago- student housing is scattered throughout Amsterdam.
Estimated Cost of Living
Student Visa and Insurance
Information on Student Visas and Insurance for students going on exchange can be found elsewhere on this website.
- 2016 S2 BA GEOG PB
- 2016 S1 LLB BA POLS MS
- 2016 S1 LLB Dip Lang RF
- 2016 S1 LLB MM
- 2016 S1 BCom ECON FINC OL
- 2015 S2 BA GEOG LLB RD (204K PDF format)
- 2014 S2 LLB TV (1206K PDF format)
- 2014 S2 LLB BSc EW (308K PDF format)
- 2014 S1 LLB RP (516K PDF format)
- 2014 S1 LLB NJ (389K PDF format)
- 2014 S1 LLB AY (186K PDF format)
- 2014 S1 LLB AL (365K PDF format)
- 2014 S1 BA POLS GM (566K PDF format)
- 2013 S2 BCom ECON MH (279K PDF format)
- 2013 S2 LLB EM (189K PDF format)
- 2013 S2 LLB NR (440K PDF format)
The University, City and Region
The Universiteit van Amsterdam (UvA), founded in 1632, is the most internationally orientated university in the Netherlands. The university buildings, including restored buildings in the city centre, give character to the city. With over 22,000 students, including more than 1,250 international students and researchers, the Universiteit van Amsterdam has developed strong mainstream academic programmes in English taught by distinguished faculties in order to attract some of the best students around the world. The strong historical bond with the city has persisted and most faculties are located at historic sites throughout the city centre.
The City of Amsterdam and Region
Amsterdam has been described by one exchange student as a charming village of a city. Visitors to the city (most of whom are under 26) enjoy gazing at houseboats and facades while strolling along tree-lined canals. In addition to world-class museums and art galleries Amsterdam hosts and supports famous music, opera, theatre and dance companies. It also has a vibrant film culture, and a justly notorious nightlife. It is within easy train and plane access to most major European capitals, and the easiest form of transport within Amsterdam is by bicycle.
For further information about Otago Global Student Exchange please email email@example.com