Do you have an innovative idea to solve a global challenge? You could win the chance to present your idea at an international competition in Canada!
Why join the Challenge?
The World's Challenge Challenge is an exciting way to engage in discussion and debate about world issues such as climate change and poverty, and to bring your own ideas to the table. Global change starts with one idea, one discussion. Who knows where it may lead?
Finalists will have an opportunity to network with some of the best and brightest students from around the world, participate in academic events, generate further discussion around global issues, and experience a taste of Canadian hospitality.
Who can participate
- Current University of Otago undergraduate and postgraduate students of good standing.
- Only teams of three will be accepted.
- All three members of the team must be in Dunedin on 27 February for the final presentation at Otago.
- Teams are encouraged to bring together individuals from diverse backgrounds or areas of study.
- Teams need to think of a global issue and/or challenge that the world is facing and present their unique solution to a panel of judges. You are encouraged to refer to the Global Goals page when choosing the global challenge that your team will tackle.
- Each presentation will be judged out of 100 using the World's Challenge Challenge scoring rubric.
- See Instructions for Participants to learn more about the competition and what to include in the final presentation.
- See WCC Overview for additional infomation and photos of the 2018 winning teams.
- Watch the Video of the 2018 World’s Challenge Challenge Global Final
- First Place: each team member will win a trip to compete in the International World's Challenge Challenge at Western University in Ontario, Canada. Flights, accommodation and meals will be included.
- Second Place: $50 gift card per person
- Third place: $30 gift card per person
World’s Challenge Challenge winners
- First Place: CAD $30,000 ($10,000 to each individual team member)
- Second Place: CAD $15,000 ($5,000 to each individual team member)
- Third Place: CAD $7,500 ($2,500 to each individual team member)
The intention for prize money is to help further develop the proposed solution and support implementation.
How to enter
- Download the University of Otago 2019 WCC Application Form
- Email completed form to email@example.com (use '2019 WCC application' as subject line).
- Entries close on Monday 4 February 2019.
2019 Application Timeline
|4 February||Last day to email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org|
|7 February||Finalists notified. Start to prepare your 5 - 7 minute team presentation.|
|27 February||Finalists present at Otago before a panel of judges. The winning team is announced!|
|2-7 June||The winning team participates in the International World's Challenge Challege at Western University, Canada for a chance to win CAN$30,000 (CAN$10,000 per team member)!|
Do you need team members?
We created a closed Facebook group to allow you to connect with other Otago students. Ask to join: 2019 Otago WCC Group.