This paper is an introduction to the business environment of New Zealand, including important defining characteristics, social and environmental implications of business decisions, and an appreciation of bi- and multi-cultural frameworks as they affect business.
To be confirmed
Wood, L. (Ed.). (2017). BSNS111 Business and Society. Boston MA: Cengage Learning
|Final examination (2 hours)||50%|
Introduction to the business environment of New Zealand, including important defining characteristics, social and environmental implications of business decisions, and an appreciation of bi- and multi-cultural frameworks as they affect business.
|Paper title||Business and Society|
|Points||18 points 18 points|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester, Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$846.30|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,073.10|
- Schedule C
- More information link
- View more information on the Otago Business School's website
- Teaching staff
Co-ordinator: Lincoln Wood (Management)
To be advised (Marketing)
Textbooks are not required for this paper
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship,
Communication, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy, Information
literacy, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will
- Be able to identify and apply concepts that help to characterise the environment in which businesses operate and to understand the assumptions implicit in these concepts
- Understand the interdependence between different parts of the business ecosystem
- Be able to discuss the relevance of the MÄori worldview and the bicultural framework of the NZ business environment
- Be able to debate the social and environmental implications of business decisions nationally and internationally
- Understand the relevance of the student's own values to their relationships with other stakeholders in the business environment