Are you interested in learning to speak, read, write and understand basic Spanish while also learning about Hispanic culture? With over 400 million native speakers worldwide Spanish is truly a world language and the ability to communicate in a second language will distinguish you from other graduates. For this beginners course all you need is your interest, enthusiasm, and energy, we can do the rest.
The paper is an integrated approach to the skills of language acquisition and includes basic materials on the cultural heritage of the Spanish people. Being an intensive course, it will cover all the material normally taught in one semester. The level of fluency obtained at the end of six weeks is expected to be the same level or higher than one obtained during one semester (13 weeks) of study of the Spanish Language.
Note: This paper is for beginners only and is not available to students who have passed NCEA Level 2 or 3 (or equivalent) in Spanish.
Lecturer and Course Coordinator
Mr Francisco Araya
Exploraciones. Second Edition. Mary Ann Blitt /Margarita Casas. (w/ iLrn access code) – available through the University Book Shop. This book contains an access code that is required to complete weekly homework.
|Tests (5 x 8%)||40%|
|Homework (due weekly on Sunday by midnight)||15%|
|Oral examinations (2 x 7.5%)||15%|
|Final examination (2 hours)||30%|
An introductory course in reading, writing, listening to, and speaking Spanish for students with no previous knowledge of the language.
Are you interested in learning to speak, read, write and understand basic Spanish while also learning about Hispanic culture? With over 400 million native speakers worldwide Spanish is truly a world language, and the ability to communicate in a second language will distinguish you from other graduates. As a beginners' paper, all you need is your interest, enthusiasm and energy; we can do the rest.
|Paper title||Introductory Spanish 1|
|Points||18 points 18 points|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester, Summer School|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$868.95|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,656.70|
- SPAN 132 or any other more advanced Spanish language paper
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- This paper is for beginners only and is not available to students who have passed NCEA Level 2 or 3 (or equivalent) in Spanish. For further information, contact the Programme Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Suitable for students with no prior knowledge of Spanish language
- Teaching staff
- Summer School: Francisco Araya, Teaching
Semester 1: Associate Prof Tiffany Trotman
- Paper Structure
- This paper is divided into five units, each of which introduces aspects of Spanish language and Hispanic culture.
- Teaching Arrangements
- Lectures and tutorials
- Blitt, Mary Ann, and Margarita Casas. Exploraciones (with iLrn(TM) Heinle Learning Center Printed Access Card) 2nd Edition, Published 2015
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Information literacy, Self-motivation
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Knowledge-based outcomes:
- Demonstrate knowledge of introductory Spanish grammatical structures
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the varied cultural perspectives within the Hispanic world
- Demonstrate an ability to perform basic linguistic tasks (reading, writing, listening and speaking) in the target language
- Evidence increased self-confidence and risk taking with basic linguistic tasks
- Demonstrate an ability to express oneself creatively in simple written and oral tasks in the target language
- More information link