Sent 1 March 2018
In this project update for the Support Services Review there are details about upcoming staff information sessions, organisation design, responses to common questions, current and upcoming vacancies, and appointments made.
We encourage staff to continue to send through any questions or comments for this newsletter or the website using the ‘Have your say’ form.
Regular info sessions
The first staff information session is scheduled for 9am Friday 2 March in Castle 2. This session will provide a high level overview of the Shared Services Division. If you are interested in attending this session, please register you interest here. While we will not be live streaming these sessions, they will be recorded and made available on the SSR website along with other supporting documentation after each session.
In subsequent sessions we will provide additional detail about each of the areas within the Shared Services Division. The next 3 sessions are tentatively scheduled for Monday 12 March at 2pm, Friday 23 March at 9am and Thursday 29 March at 3pm. We will confirm the topics for these sessions in the coming week and email details to staff.
In conjunction with the staff information sessions, we will also share information relating to organisation design. This will be an ongoing process as positions are filled in the new structure.
With regard to the Shared Services Division, the Director (David Tapp) will report to the Chief Operating Officer and the Shared Services Division will be one of the Divisions within the Operations Group portfolio. The organisation chart detailing the operations portfolio including Shared Services can be viewed here.
In response to your questions
When will we see more organisation charts?
Organisation charts will be made available on the SSR website after each of the relevant staff information sessions being held over the next few weeks
When will the process be finished?
The Management of Change process that commenced in October last year is ongoing and we remain on track to complete this by the end of May.
How is work going to be managed during the transition?
The Steering Group is very aware of business continuity risk and the concern staff have about this. The Steering Group remains committed to having high levels of transitional staff during this period.
What is the change process?
We will continue to follow the clearly defined Management of Change process outlined in employment agreements.
Will the transition be department by department or all at once?
The transition is function by function rather than department by department, so we will be working across the University rather than by individual departments to implement change.
When will fixed term staff have the opportunity to be considered for roles?
Vacancies will be advertised and staff including fixed-term staff have the opportunity to apply for these roles.
Will open plan work at Otago?
Open plan is already working for a number of teams and the redevelopment of the St David 2 building is designed specifically to be fit for its new purpose. We appreciate that an open plan working environment may be new and challenging for some staff, support will be provided to make this transition.
We are pleased to announce the following appointments at Director and Manager level have been made:
- Director, Shared Services Division: David Tapp (Effective: 19 March)
- Senior Manager, Client Services (Shared Services)
- Health Sciences: Andrea Howard (Effective: 26 February)
- Division of Sciences: Cathy Thomson (Effective: 19 February)
- Division of Humanities: Niky Hunt (Naomi Weaver acting. Effective: 19 February)
- Division of Commerce: Lornae Straith (Effective: 19 February)
- Service Divisions: Marj Wright (Effective: 5 March)
- Senior Manager, Project Management Office: Andrew Jenkins (Effective: 30 April)
- Senior Manager, Finance Advisory (FSD): Sheryl Logie (Effective: 15 January)
- Manager, Divisional Finance
- Health Sciences: Andrea Wolf (Effective: 26 February)
- Division of Sciences: Brett Dailey (Effective: Half-time from 26 February)
- Divisions of Humanities and Commerce: Quentin Johnson (Effective: 19 March)
- Operations Divisions: Katherine Hendry (Effective: 13 March)
- Service Divisions: Sarah Browne (Effective: 13 March)
- Enterprise Architect (ITS): Dave Maclaurin (Effective: 1 February)
The intended recruitment activity for the coming is as follows:
POSITIONS CURRENTLY SHORT-LISTING / INTERVIEWING:
- Head of Operations Services, Shared Services
- Senior Manager, IT Information Systems (ITS)
- Senior Manager, IT Infrastructure (ITS)
- Senior Manager IT Projects Unit (ITS)
- Head of Student Experience
- Manager Performance and Delivery
- Manager Client Services
- Director Marketing
POSITIONS CURRENTLY ADVERTISED:
- Manager Events (closes Sunday 4 March)
- Senior Manager Finance Services (closes Monday 5 March)
- Senior Manager Client Services (UOC) (closes Tuesday 6 March)
- Services Representative AskOtago (closes Thursday 15 March)
POSITIONS BEING PREPARED FOR ADVERTISEMENT:
- Group Leader Supply Chain
- Group Leader Student Development
- Systems Services Manager
- Client Services Manager x5
- Strategic Finance x4
Additional positions may be advertised during this time. For a full list of vacancies please be sure to check the Current Vacancies section of the HR website.
We remind staff that you can access personal support through the Employee Assistance Programme (EAP). EAP services are available to staff at any time through the existing provider, Stratos Ltd.
EAP services are confidential to you and based on a self-referral system. There is no requirement to advise or make a request to your manager. Further information can be found in the EAP section of the HR website.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) information on the HR website
The offsite login is 'uniotago' and the password is 'EAP'.
We welcome your feedback on the project implementation as it progresses. Contact us to discuss, or let us know if you need more information at email@example.com
From the Support Services Review Project Team