Administration reporting lines changed on 24 September. Process change has begun – we outline below the finance roles and responsibilities and encourage you to look at new fact sheets on the SSR website. We also advise of changes to updating the website and a message around approvals in the Staff Web Kiosk.
Please continue to send any questions or comments for this newsletter using the Have your say form.
On Monday, 24 September, reporting lines for over two hundred staff changed, with many of these staff joining the Client Services team within the Shared Services Division. Although the reporting lines have changed this does not mean that work currently being performed will change for everyone at this time. Implementation of the new shared services model is a staged process with a key focus on maintaining business continuity. The work undertaken will change over time as new processes are embedded, systems are implemented and the organisational structure is fully staffed and operational.
Staff Web Kiosk – Delegated Leave and Timesheet Approvals
As a consequence of the large number of reporting line changes, there is currently a backlog of leave and timesheet approval delegations that need to be modified in the payroll system to reflect the updated organisational structure. The HR Services team is working through this backlog as quickly as possible, however we do anticipate that this will take some time to complete. In the first instance the focus will be on ensuring timesheet approvals can be completed (to ensure staff get paid), after that leave delegations will be updated. We will communicate more definite timeframes once these have been confirmed.
In instances where the delegations are yet to be transferred from previous (now vacant) administration positions to the new Client Services positions, the leave email notifications will skip the vacant position and escalate to the next approval level. We appreciate that this will cause some disruption and are working to ensure that this disruption is kept to a minimum.
Finance process changes
One of the first areas to expect changes is finance processes. We have created a Finance: Roles and Responsibilities factsheet to provide an overview of ‘who will do what’ once the new model is in place. In many instances the actual process has not changed, but responsibility for supporting these processes may have. Existing staff may still be performing finance tasks in the interim, while new processes are being implemented.
Making purchases changes
Changes to the process for making purchases will mean that purchases can be initiated via a new online smart form. This form will be routed to the Supply Chain team who will then raise orders in the finance system. This will be phased in across the University.
The new smart form is scheduled to ‘Go Live’ in a limited number of areas, before being progressively rolled out to more departments.
The St David II Shared Services building is now home to:
- Student Experience (this includes what were formerly known as the Examinations, Records & Graduation, Admissions, and Timetables teams)
- Accounts Payable
- HR Services and Payroll
- Performance and Delivery team
The University Information Centre and ITS service desk sites have now closed. The AskOtago hub in the ISB is now open.
HR Recruitment, Development and Equity are now in the Leith Walk Building. The HR Promotions and Remuneration team move into the same building in the next few weeks.
Factsheets that explain changes to University of Otago support services are on the SSR website. They cover:
- Human Resources
- Operations (Client Services)
- Student Experience Services
- Marketing Services
- Communications Office
- Information Technology Services
Please take time to update yourself on how these services are organised and their responsibilities.
Changes to Website Updates
Staff from the former 'Web Services' unit are now spread across three teams:
- Marketing Content Unit (within Marketing Services, Division of External Engagement)
- Web Design (also within Marketing Services)
- Web Development (within the ITS Applications Team)
Traditionally, web editing and reviewing has been highly devolved – with over 1,000 registered (including 300 active) web editors/reviewers across the University.
As decided by the SSR Steering Group, website ownership now rests with Marketing Services.
Web editing and reviewing will be done by specialist content developers within the Marketing Content Unit.
Therefore the University Website Editing course is no longer being offered, and we are no longer adding new editors or reviewers to existing websites.
As and when a department loses its web editors or reviewers – due to staff changes or changes to job descriptions – website responsibilities will shift to the Marketing Content Unit.
- Please send any web requests to email@example.com
Your request will be assigned to the appropriate team: Marketing Content, Web Design, or Web Development.
An exception: Adding events
All staff can continue to submit events to the online events calendar. Instructions are available here:
When you submit an event, it will be sent to the Marketing Content Unit to review and approve before it appears on University websites.
Vacancies continue to be uploaded to the vacancies webpage this week.
View the Current Vacancies section of the HR website for all vacancies currently being advertised.
View information about the recruitment process for administrative roles on the Recruitment Process page.
View job descriptions on the Job Descriptions page.
Training and Support
Please contact staff.support-SSR@otago.ac.nz to discuss training or support requirements.
EAP - staff support
Staff can access personal support through the Employee Assistance Programme (EAP); this offers financial and budgeting advice, as well as other counselling services. EAP services are available to staff at any time through the existing provider, Stratos Ltd. EAP services are confidential to you and based on a self-referral system. There is no requirement to advise or make a request to your manager. Further information can be found in the EAP section of the HR website.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) information on the HR website
The offsite login is 'uniotago' and the password is 'EAP'.
POSITIONS CURRENTLY SHORT-LISTING / INTERVIEWING:
- Marketing Specialist (Dunedin)
- Marketing Adviser (Dunedin)
- Administrator Clinics (Dunedin)
- Administrator Client Services (UOW)
- Finance Associate (Dunedin)
- Administrator Student Administration (Dunedin)
- Senior Administrator Student Administration (Dunedin)
- Lead Administrator Student Administration (Dunedin)
- Lead Student Adviser (Dunedin)
- Student Adviser (Dunedin)
- Lead Administrator Client Services (Dunedin)
- Senior Analyst Project Management Office (Dunedin)
- Officer Purchasing (Dunedin)
- Senior Administrator Academic Committees and Services (Dunedin)
- Senior Manager, Marketing and Advisory Services (Dunedin)
- Category Specialist (Procurement) (Dunedin)
- Purchasing Officer (UOW)
- Purchasing Officer (UOC)
- Administrator Client Services (Dunedin)
- Kaiwhakahaere Tari - Administrator Client Services (Māori) (Dunedin)
- Senior Desktop Support Technician (Dunedin)
- Senior Manager Systems Services (Dunedin)
- Administrator Assistant (Dunedin)
- Marketing Content Manager (Dunedin)
- Marketing Content Developer (Dunedin)
- Senior Research Administrator (UOC)
- Senior Research Administrator (Dunedin)
POSITIONS CURRENTLY ADVERTISED:
You will need to log in to view the internal only vacancies.
- Administrator Client Services (UOW) – closes 12 October
- Senior Analyst Project Management Office (Dunedin)- closes 7 October
- Administrator Client Services (UOC)- closes 7 October
- Administrator Client Services (part-time) (Dunedin)- closes 4 October
- Analyst IT Projects Unit (Dunedin) – closes 4 October
- Storeperson (Dunedin) – closes 30 September
POSITIONS BEING PREPARED FOR ADVERTISEMENT:
- Lead Officer Supply Chain
Staff need to log in to view internal job vacancies. For a full list of vacancies please be sure to check the Current Vacancies section of the HR website.
We welcome your feedback on the project implementation as it progresses. Contact us to discuss, or let us know if you need more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
From the Support Services Review Project Team