This project update has the latest on the transition for the Support Services Review. We introduce Dr Julie Weaver, Group Leader Student Development.
Please continue to send any questions or comments for this newsletter using the Have your say form.
We are now well through the recruitment process.
Planning is underway for the next physical relocation with the Promotions and Remuneration team from Human Resources moving from the Clock Tower to the ITS Building over the Leith shortly. They will be joined by the Recruitment, Development and Equity team who are moving out of Taramea House on George Street.
The University is transitioning into a new era in support services as staff move into new roles and teams – your continued support during this time is appreciated. Implementation of the new support services model is a staged process with a key focus on maintaining business continuity. With this in mind it is important to remember that while some structural changes, including reporting lines, will take effect in the coming months this doesn’t mean that the current work being performed will all change at the time reporting lines change. The work undertaken will change over time as new processes are embedded, systems are implemented and the organisation structure is fully staffed and operational. In addition to the staff affected receiving information from their manager we will provide updates during transition about new processes and systems as progress is made to ensure you are aware of changes as these evolve.
The transition to the Shared Services Division will be overseen over the next two years by a board made up of senior University leaders. The Board Convenor is Professor Sarah Young, Department of Pathology (DSM). Board members are now being appointed. Further details of the governance board will be made available on the University’s website and we will publish the link to this information as soon as possible.
Lump Sum Payment Option
For staff that have accepted redeployment into a role at a lower level, and would like to request the lump sum salary preservation option, please advise the SSR team of your request by Friday 31st August by emailing email@example.com.
In response to your questions
Information for permanent staff facing redundancy follows:
Q. I have an entitlement to Long Service Leave – if I don’t use this before my notice for redundancy and redeployment expires, will it be paid to me like annual leave is?
A. Yes. As detailed in employment agreements clause F.9.d “Long Service Leave is an entitlement and will not be paid out under any circumstances, other than where the employee is made redundant under the provisions detailed in Appendix C.”
Other new frequently asked questions (FAQs) are on the SSR website - FAQs
Vacancies continue to be uploaded to the vacancies webpage this week. Staff including those on fixed term appointments or Campus Temps, can apply for these roles.
View the Current Vacancies section of the HR website for all vacancies currently being advertised.
View information about the recruitment process for administrative roles on the Recruitment Process page.
View job description roles on the Job Descriptions page.
How to engage with changed services
All phone extensions of staff who have shifted into St David II remain the same.
A reminder that the “dial 0” facility is not available. The University's telephonist service has been incorporated into the AskOtago service, meaning University callers dial 7000 to talk to someone at AskOtago, or search for a phone number in the web-based phone directory.
Introducing...Dr Julie Weaver, Group Leader Student Development
What does your role involve?
Student Development is a new area with a strong student focus. My role will be working with the team to help students through their study and see all that Otago has to offer. So as well as course advice, Student Development will be helping students to be aware of all the different opportunities available, such as international exchanges, and the support services Otago has. It brings everything together into a whole package in a way that students here haven't seen before.
What were you doing previously?
I have had a variety of roles on campus, most recently as the Dietetic Programme Manager in the Department of Human Nutrition at Otago. I have also worked as a teaching fellow, and in the Research Office.
What are you looking forward to in the role?
I'm really excited about what we will offer students. The services that in the past were across different parts of the University are all together for the first time, which means its very student focused and much more accessible. People don't know what they don't know, so having all information from one place helps each student, with their individual goals and issues, to see all their options. We're looking forward to taking that even further, with more engagement and involvement with students – we want to be in touch with them in their first year so we're engaged with them from the start. It's very positive.
Student Development is still recruiting so our team is only at the early stages, but I'm also looking forward to engaging with staff as well as the students as we develop – we're only as good as the knowledge we have so building good working relationships across campus is key.
What do you like about living in Dunedin?
I love Dunedin (except maybe the summer weather). I love that my family is nearby and the proximity of Dunedin to other places like Central Otago. It's a great little city.
Training and Support
Please contact staff.support-SSR@otago.ac.nz to discuss training or support requirements.
EAP - staff support
Staff can access personal support through the Employee Assistance Programme (EAP); this offers financial and budgeting advice, as well as other counselling services. EAP services are available to staff at any time through the existing provider, Stratos Ltd. EAP services are confidential to you and based on a self-referral system. There is no requirement to advise or make a request to your manager. Further information can be found in the EAP section of the HR website.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) information on the HR website
The offsite login is 'uniotago' and the password is 'EAP'.
- Supply Chain Manager - Michael Lawrence (effective 27 August 2018)
- Director Student and Academic Services - Karyn Thomson (effective TBC)
- Senior Manager IT Assurance and Cyber Security - Richard Feist (effective 24 September 2018)
POSITIONS CURRENTLY SHORT-LISTING / INTERVIEWING:
- Officer Procurement (Dunedin)
- Administrator Clinics (UOW)
- Administrator Client Services (UOC)
- Lead Administrator Client Services (UOC)
- Administrator Client Services (UOW)
- Administrator Client Services (Dunedin)
- Administrator Clinics (Dunedin)
- Coordinator Events (UOC)
- Lead Student Adviser (Dunedin)
- Lead Administrator Student Administration (Dunedin)
- Senior Administrator Student Administration (Dunedin)
- IT Projects Manager (Dunedin)
- Student Adviser (Dunedin)
- Communications Adviser (Dunedin)
- Administrator Student Administration (Dunedin)
- Coordinator Student Experience (UOC)
- Senior Officer Revenue Management (Dunedin)
- Engineer AV Support (Dunedin)
- Marketing Adviser (Dunedin)
- Marketing Specialist (Dunedin)
- Communications Adviser (UOW)
- Services Representative AskOtago (Dunedin)
- Purchasing Officer (Dunedin)
- Senior Analyst Project Management Office (Dunedin)
- Coordinator Events (UOW)
- Academic Committees and Services Specialist (Dunedin)
- Senior Administrator Academic Committees and Services (Dunedin)
- Administrator Client Services (UOW)
- Manager IT Advisory (Dunedin)
- Senior Manager, Marketing and Advisory Services (Dunedin)
- Senior Research Advisory Manager (Dunedin)
- International Partnerships Coordinator (Dunedin)
- Finance Associate (Dunedin)
- Finance Manager (Dunedin)
POSITIONS CURRENTLY ADVERTISED:
You will need to log in to view the internal only vacancies.
- Manager Strategic Finance (Dunedin) – closes 10 September
- Purchasing Officer (UOW) – closes 2 September
- Purchasing Officer (UOC) – closes 2 September
- Finance Associate (UOC) – closes 2 September
- Kaiwhakahaere Tari - Administrator Client Services (Māori) (Dunedin) – closes 2 September
- Administrator Client Services (Dunedin) – closes 2 September
- Procurement Officer (Dunedin) – closes 28 August
- Category Specialist (Dunedin) – closes 28 August
POSITIONS BEING PREPARED FOR ADVERTISEMENT:
- Administrator Assistant Support Services
- Lead Officer Supply Chain
- Officer Revenue Management
Staff need to log in to view internal job vacancies. For a full list of vacancies please be sure to check the Current Vacancies section of the HR website.
We welcome your feedback on the project implementation as it progresses. Contact us to discuss, or let us know if you need more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
From the Support Services Review Project Team