This project update covers the PDR process, some information about budget reviews and the continuing staff recruitment process. Emerson Pratt, Senior Manager IT Services, is featured this week.
Please continue to send any questions or comments for this newsletter using the Have your say form.
The PDR Process
The PDR Process for 2018/2019 will operate as outlined in the current PDR Policy (PDR). It is important that staff have the opportunity for their performance to be reviewed and where appropriate, to be considered for a salary increase.
The process has been adapted this year to accommodate current organisational changes particularly to reporting lines and roles. The PDR process will be divided into two distinct parts:
- Review of performance for 2017/18 and
- Objective setting for the 2018/19 period
The formal PDR meeting(s)/review (Part 1) will occur between 1 August and 31 October 2018. When and how this will occur will depend on the situation for each staff member. If the manager is unchanged then they will complete parts 1 and 2.
Where a staff member has a new manager, part 1 will be completed by the previous manager. Part 2, objective setting, will be completed by the new manager, and this may be delayed due to appointment dates. It is expected that managers will work together during this year’s PDR Process to ensure PDRs are completed appropriately for every staff member.
Ongoing Budget Review
As part of the SSR implementation there is a requirement to update budgets to reflect changes to the organisational structure. This will involve an ongoing process of reviewing existing budgets and altering these to reflect the changes occurring in each area. You can expect more of this activity to occur over the coming weeks and months as further reporting line changes take effect.
Vacancies continue to be uploaded to the vacancies webpage this week. Staff including those on fixed term appointments or Campus Temps, can apply for these roles.
View the Current Vacancies section of the HR website for all vacancies currently being advertised.
View information about the recruitment process for administrative roles on the Recruitment Process page.
View job descriptions on the Job Descriptions page.
Introducing...Emerson Pratt, Senior Manager IT Services
What does your role involve?
I lead the fantastic Shared Services IT Support Services (ITSS) team. The team provides support for staff and postgraduate desktop computing as well as the computers within the student computer rooms. We also provide the universities eConferencing services, media production services and of course design, install and support the various AV facilities within the various teaching and meeting spaces throughout the university.
What were you doing previously?
Previously I was Teaching & Learning Facilities (T&LF) Manager within ITS. That role was similar to my current role, however, instead of providing desktop support for staff we were mainly responsible for student computing. T&LF also included the universities eLearning team who are now part of ITS Information Systems group.
What are you looking forward to in the role?
That one is easy. I’m looking forward to working with the fantastic ITSS team to provide exceptional IT services to our staff and students. There is no doubt we have a lot of work ahead of us as we look at transforming the way we provide ICT support at the university but we’ve got a great team and I know together we are going to do some absolutely amazing things.
What do you like about living in Dunedin?
Dunedin is a fantastic place. You've got the scenery and recreation activities around Dunedin and the harbour where I spend a lot of time diving. Add to that that within a few hours’ drive, you've literally got the best scenery in the country if not the world and what is not to love. Saying all that though what brings me back to Dunedin, and why I love living here, is the amazing people.
Training and Support
Please contact staff.support-SSR@otago.ac.nz to discuss training or support requirements.
EAP - staff support
Staff can access personal support through the Employee Assistance Programme (EAP); this offers financial and budgeting advice, as well as other counselling services. EAP services are available to staff at any time through the existing provider, Stratos Ltd. EAP services are confidential to you and based on a self-referral system. There is no requirement to advise or make a request to your manager. Further information can be found in the EAP section of the HR website.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) information on the HR website
The offsite login is 'uniotago' and the password is 'EAP'.
- Supply Chain Manager - Michael Lawrence (effective 27 August 2018)
- Director Student and Academic Services - Karyn Thomson (effective TBC)
- Senior Manager IT Assurance and Cyber Security - Richard Feist (effective 24 September 2018)
POSITIONS CURRENTLY SHORT-LISTING / INTERVIEWING:
- Administrator Clinics (UOW)
- Administrator Client Services (UOC)
- Administrator Client Services (UOW)
- Administrator Clinics (Dunedin)
- Lead Student Adviser (Dunedin)
- Lead Administrator Student Administration (Dunedin)
- Senior Administrator Student Administration (Dunedin)
- IT Projects Manager (Dunedin)
- Student Adviser (Dunedin)
- Communications Adviser (Dunedin)
- Administrator Student Administration (Dunedin)
- Engineer AV Support (Dunedin)
- Marketing Adviser (Dunedin)
- Marketing Specialist (Dunedin)
- Communications Adviser (UOW)
- Services Representative AskOtago (Dunedin)
- Purchasing Officer (Dunedin)
- Senior Analyst Project Management Office (Dunedin)
- Coordinator Events (UOW)
- Academic Committees and Services Specialist (Dunedin)
- Senior Administrator Academic Committees and Services (Dunedin)
- Manager IT Advisory (Dunedin)
- Senior Manager, Marketing and Advisory Services (Dunedin)
- Senior Research Advisory Manager (Dunedin)
- International Partnerships Coordinator (Dunedin)
- Finance Associate (Dunedin)
- Finance Manager (Dunedin)
- Procurement Officer (Dunedin)
- Category Specialist (Dunedin)
- Administrator Client Services (Dunedin)
- Kaiwhakahaere Tari - Administrator Client Services (Māori) (Dunedin)
- Finance Associate (UOC)
- Purchasing Officer (UOC)
- Purchasing Officer (UOW)
- Officer Revenue Management (Dunedin)
POSITIONS CURRENTLY ADVERTISED:
You will need to log in to view the internal only vacancies.
- Senior Manager Systems Services (Dunedin) – closes 16 September
- Senior Desktop Support Technician (Dunedin) – closes 16 September
- Manager Strategic Finance (Dunedin) – closes 10 September
POSITIONS BEING PREPARED FOR ADVERTISEMENT:
- Administrator Assistant Support Services
- Lead Officer Supply Chain
Staff need to log in to view internal job vacancies. For a full list of vacancies please be sure to check the Current Vacancies section of the HR website.
We welcome your feedback on the project implementation as it progresses. Contact us to discuss, or let us know if you need more information at email@example.com
From the Support Services Review Project Team