Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Postgraduate Requirements

The School of Surveying welcomes postgraduate students with a research focus. While our staff and our various programmes of study (i.e., Post Graduate Diploma of Science (PGDipSci), Masters (including Masters of Applied Science in GIS), and PhD degrees) are described elsewhere in the Web site, this page answers a number of common questions.

What are the eligibility requirements?

To be admitted to postgraduate study you must first have a relevant undergraduate degree from a recognised university or tertiary institution. If you are an international student, you must also be able to gain a suitable visa for entry to New Zealand and meet the University of Otago's minimum English standard. You should visit the University of Otago International Office website. This page provides you with information on visa requirements, English language requirements, procedures, and a host of other useful information.

Beyond a relevant undergraduate degree, there are no specific academic requirements for those seeking admission to our PGDipSci programes. However, admission to our Masters degree programmes will typically require a B+ average or better in your previous degree.

Those seeking entry to our PhD programme will need to be able to demonstrate a research capability. Normally this would be done through sending results from an undergraduate degree that required a full Honours dissertation with first class Honours or through the results from a research Masters degree. While it may be possible to gain entry to our PhD programme at the successful completion of a course-work Masters degree, this is an exception, not the rule.

For international students, once you have checked the information provided by the International Office, through whom all formal application forms must be submitted, you should then contact the Head of Postgraduate Studies and Research, Associate Professor Tony Moore, at the National School of Surveying via post or email. You will need to send copies of:

  • An up-to-date CV
  • Your academic records from prior study
  • An indication of the postgraduate degree programme that you are interested in.
  • A brief research proposal (for those interested in PhD study).

The Head of Postgraduate Studies and Research will respond as soon as possible by confirming an appropriate degree programme and by suggesting a possible postgraduate degree supervisor. Progress beyond this point will be contingent upon your formal application for admission being processed and accepted by the University.

We do accept students from a number of discipline areas into our postgraduate degree programmes, provided your academic background is appropriate and provided the focus of your postgraduate study aligns with the research strengths of our staff. At the Masters level, those with an undergraduate degree in surveying will typically study towards an MSurv degree, whilst those from other discipline backgrounds may enroll for an MSc degree.

^ Top of Page

What does it cost?

This information can be found at the International Office (

^ Top of Page

Where can I get funding?

The School of Surveying typically does not offer studentships, although from time-to-time, limited funding is available. Funded research projects can support a very limited number of postgraduate students each year. The University has a large number of scholarships and is committed to supporting good postgraduate students. Scholarship details can be found at

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade through its NZAid Scholarship programme. Details can be found at

Typically international PhD students who are resident in Dunedin and studying at the University of Otago are only required to pay domestic student fees. The International Office ( can provide more details.

^ Top of Page