We can achieve more by working together
You can choose how to become more involved with sustainability – as a volunteer, by taking action in your work space or being a leader. Here are ways you can get involved:
Green Your Scene
Help make positive changes at the University and be part of something more this year with Green Your Scene.
Research - Living Labs
This initiative treats our campuses as ‘living laboratories’ of sustainability practice, research and teaching. It focuses on fostering cooperation between operational and academic staff to:
- Practice sustainability in our day-to-day operations
- Perform research on our challenges
- Equip our students with sustainability skills to take out into the world
The launch of Living Labs involves tapping into what we do best as a research-led University – by applying our best and brightest minds to addressing our own sustainability challenges.
Become a champion
Do you lead by example? Are you passionate about a certain theme? You can become a champion with Green Your Scene in waste, energy or travel!
- Energy Champion – act as a leader to help promote energy saving in your area. You will work closely with the University’s Energy Management team to learn about energy requirements and consumption points specific to your workplace. You’ll be contributing to the University’s target of being more than 20% energy efficient by 2025.
- Waste Champion – act as a source of support and information on how to reduce waste and improve recycling performance in your workplace – you’ll be given updates and support along the way from our Waste Management Coordinator. You’ll be actively supporting the University’s target of reducing waste to landfill by 50% by 2021.
- Active Travel Champion – act as a source of guidance and information on active travel to get people choosing more sustainable travel options. We’ll teach you how to use current apps and key messages to get people to consider alternative transport.
You’ll be ensuring staff and students are assisting the University’s target of cutting our carbon footprint by 33% by 2020.
There will be a training session for each champion throughout the year so you’ll be able to connect with likeminded champions throughout the university while be supported along the way.