Social and scientific
Our main scientific goals are to:
- measure whether current Titi harvests are sustainable
- determine what sets the limit of present Titi harvest
- evaluate potential impacts of climate change,
fisheries bycatch and pollutants.
- describe the diet of Titi.
- test and refine population monitoring methods.
- compare Matauranga (Maori Traditional Environmental
Knowledge) and kaitiakitanga (environmental stewardship)
with ecological science for harvest management .
Our main social goals are to honour the Treaty of
Waitangi and Tikanga Maori in the way the research is
conducted, interpreted and communicated. We also seek to
build a research and monitoring capacity amongst Rakiura