A degree in Tourism from the University of Otago is both your passport to the world, and to an exciting career in a dynamic industry.
Tourism graduates find themselves in a broad range of careers, both in New Zealand and internationally. Our graduates have found their niche in occupations such as sales and marketing within the tourism industry, event management, client/customer service, business development and project management. From small touristic enterprises to large hotel chains and organisations – tourism graduates from Otago are making a name for themselves!
Tourism is now a major in the Bachelor of Commerce. Some of these profiles - the students completed a Bachelor of Tourism degree – this is equivalent to the current Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Tourism.
Recent Tourism graduates are now employed in the following roles:
- Tourism and Venues Officer, Otago Museum
- Junior Marketing Assistant, Men’s Clothing Designer Store
- Sales and Operations, Aviation Company
- Recruitment Consultant in Human Resources Company
- Consultant Support, Mobile Travel Agents
- Human Resources Manager, International Hotel
- Flight Centre Consultant
- Brand Experience Manager, Winery Heritage Centre
- Physical Activity Advisor, Sports Organisation
- Senior Events Coordinator, NZ Hotel
- Receptionist/Purchasing Manager, NZ Hotel
- Marketing and Research Assistant, Investment Company
- Business Development Manager, NZ Hotel
- Sales and Marketing Administrator, Resource Planning Company
- Conference Coordinator, NZ Hotel
- Financial Advisor
- External Affairs Officer, Foreign Affairs, Pacific
- National Accounts Executive
- Sales and Events Coordinator, Hospitality Company
- Customer Service Agent, Airline
- Banking Graduate Programme, Retail Banking
- Business Development Manager, Media Company
- Food and Beverage Manager, NZ Hotel
Tourism graduate profiles
Read about some of our Tourism graduates. Find out about where their degrees have taken them, and how their studies at Otago have prepared them for their respective careers.