Please be at the Language Centre by 8.45am.
What do I need to bring?
- Your passport
- Lunch money
What happens when I arrive at the Language Centre?
- Please report to the reception desk upon your arrival and present your passport to the staff behind the desk.
- You will be given a Registration Form which you should complete in pen and your photo will be taken and put on our database.
- We will give you a green enrolment slip if you have shown us your passport, valid visa, compliant insurance policy and proof of payment. You will be given a red enrolment slip if you have not given us all the required documents. Take this slip to your teacher.
- After we have confirmed your payment you will receive a small piece of paper with your ID number written on it. You will need to take this paper with your passport to the ID Card Office who will take your photo and give you an ID card which you can use to access University of Otago facilities, such as the gym next door to our building.
After completing the paperwork, you will be taken to a classroom where you will be given an English test. We call this the placement test. Once the test is completed, staff will grade the test and place you in a class with other students who are at a similar level to you. There is a maximum of 18 students per class.
Meeting our staff
After completing the placement test you will have an orientation to the Language Centre, which includes meeting our homestay staff and student support officers. You will be given a welcome pack and a brief overview of the services available at the Language Centre. You will also be given your timetable and books.
What to do with your free time
There are microwaves and lunch area on the first floor of our building and a cafe right next door. We have a library on the first floor too with a great selection of books, computers and DVD's for your entertainment so you won't get bored when you have some free time!
Your day will end around 4pm and your homestay parents should pick you up or you should have arranged your own way home.
During your first week the Student Support Officers will talk to you about banking, visas, insurance, dealing with homesickness, ID cards, study and life in New Zealand, and school policies. They offer support and help when you need it during your time at the Language Centre.
If you have any questions about your first day at the Language Centre please contact us on:
- Phone: 0064 3 479 5250
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to welcoming you to the University of Otago Language Centre.