Full membership of the Library is available to staff and students of the University of Otago, Wellington (UOW) and Capital & Coast District Health Board (CCDHB) staff.
External membership may be available to others.
UOW staff and students are automatically registered with the Library.
CCDHB staff need to register and are required to show their hospital identification when joining the Library.
- Registration form (PDF)
Note: There are charges for some services.
Charges and fines webpage
Full membership entitles the users to:
- access evenings and weekends when the Library is staffed
- borrow books
- photocopy within copyright regulations, in the Library
- download and print electronic documents. Saving or emailing electronic files is subject to license agreements with publishers, and is generally not permitted
- access the services of specialist librarian staff
- literature searches, current awareness and research services
The following services are available to full members and are charged separately:
- requesting of materials from branches and elsewhere in the system
- interloaning materials from other New Zealand libraries and overseas
- photocopying and printing
Access to Electronic Resources
All paid University staff are able to access electronic resources via their University username and password.
Use the off campus access login to access resources from offsite
- Non-paid, contracted clinical lecturers can:
External membership is only available at the discretion of the Health Sciences Librarian. Those applying for external membership should be practising health professionals or those studying towards a professional health qualification. Wellington-based University of Otago graduates working in the health professions may qualify for external membership.
Staff of some organisations including the Wellington Cancer Society, Hospice and Wellington Free Ambulance may apply for free membership. There may be charges/fees for evening and weekend access.
Applications must be accompanied by a statement outlining the reasons why access to the Library is required, and are subject to approval by the Health Sciences Librarian.
For enquiries, please contact us:
Staff and students of other universities may apply for free membership.
Visit the ULANZ website – Council of New Zealand University Librarians
Annual fee of $60.00 for evening and weekend access.
Annual fee of $260.00 for personal membership (includes evening and weekend access).
Short-term membership (minimum of 6 months) is also possible.
Annual corporate membership fees are available on application.
Note: Access to Library services may carry additional charges.
External membership entitles the users to:
- borrow books
- photocopy articles from print journals, within copyright regulations, in the Library
- download and print electronic documents within the Library only. Saving or emailing electronic files is subject to license agreements with publishers, and is generally not permitted
Note: External membership does NOT allow offsite access to the Library’s electronic resources.