PhD student at the International Doctoral School, University of Murcia, Spain.
Departamento de Ciencias Sociosanitarias, Faculty of Medicine, University of Murcia, Spain.
I am a psychiatrist trained in Chile and Spain. Currently I am a PhD Student at the International Doctoral School of the University of Murcia, Spain, and I joined the Suicide and Mental Health Research Group for a collaborative study about the social representations of suicide in a particular Spanish subculture.
Since culture reflects and shapes the understanding of health and disease, I focus on the use of products of popular culture in Spain (song lyrics) to access depictions of psychiatry and mental disorders in the general population.
Psychopathological constructs are influenced by the scientific and cultural paradigms of their time. The knowledge generated is integrated into the cultural background and it continues its development by interacting with culture. Thus, ideas of mental illness and its treatment vary according to culture and beliefs of a given population in a given time. Therefore, psychiatry is necessarily linked to historical and conceptual developments in society, since cultural beliefs, norms and values can shape perceptions of what is considered mental illness. My proposal is that the bidirectional relationships between culture and medicine (psychiatry, in particular) can be traced if we attend to artistic manifestations as “cultural fossils” that portray the social viewings in a specific geographic area in a given time.
My current research examines the depictions of suicide in Spanish punk songs (1981-2010), within the overall framework of the discourses of mental illness and psychiatry in this subculture. The first phase of this project is completed, by using content and thematic analysis.
- Social Psychiatry
- Culture and Psychiatry
- Music and Psychiatry
- Narratives of Mental Illness
- Qualitative strategies in Mental Health
- Pavez F, Alcántara A, Saura E, Pérez G, Marset P. The cultural products analysis in medicine and psychiatry. European Psychiatry 2016; 33: S174.
- Pavez F, Alcántara A, Saura E, Marset P. “Makoki”: A view of electroconvulsive therapy in a Spanish comic of the early 80s. European Psychiatry 2016; 33: S173.
- Pavez, Fabian. (2017). Portrayals of Psychiatry and Mental Disorders in Hispanic Rock Music. Academic Psychiatry. doi.org/10.1007/s40596-017-0813-2
- Pavez, F., Saura, E., Pérez, G., & Marset, P., (2017). Social Representations of Psychiatry and Mental Disorders Examined Through the Analysis of Music as a Cultural Product. Music & Medicine. 9(4), 247 – 253.