MD, FRACP, Dip Anaesth, MBChB, BSc
Professor, Department of Medicine
Clinical and Research Director Wellington School of Medicine Sleep Investigation Centre
Respiratory and Sleep Physician, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Capital and Coast Health
Fax : +64 4 3895725
Research expertise and interest
I direct the University of Otago's WellSleep Research Group and am an Associated Investigator and Research Committee member of the NH and MRC funded Australasian Sleep Trials Network.
My research expertise and interest are:
• The epidemiology and ethnic distribution of obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) in New Zealanders and its relationship to cardiovascular disease.
• Improving access to sleep services and the evaluation of home based diagnosis and treatment pathways for OSA.
• The use of randomised controlled research methodology to assess new treatment technologies including: oral appliance studies; heated humidification of CPAP and new modes of positive airway pressure (C-flex and Auto CPAP) and non-invasive ventilation.
• Improving the understanding and awareness of sleep disorders.
• Community acquired pneumonia