Study in Christchurch, Dunedin or Wellington
Public health is a diverse and vital area, encompassing all aspects of our lives. It has been defined as the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life, and promoting health through the organised efforts of society. Issues and knowledge in public health are constantly evolving.
Regardless of which aspect of public health interests you, it is a field in which you will really make a difference:
- Environment and health
- Hauora Māori
- Health economics
- Health promotion
- Health systems
- Law and ethics
- Public policy
- Research methods
- Society and health
10 reasons to study public health with us
- Build on an undergraduate degree in any discipline, not just public health.
- Study full-time or part-time; whatever suits. Papers are taught in half semester terms giving you flexibility to arrange study around other commitments.
- choose your campus—Wellington, Christchurch, or Dunedin—where you will be provided with a supportive learning environment.
- A broad range of paper topics enable you to tailor your qualification to reflect your interests.
- Qualification staircase: You have the option to start with the Postgraduate Certificate in Public Health (PGCertPH), later adding papers to earn a diploma or master's qualification.
- Our qualifications provide personal and professional growth to increase your employment potential.
- Qualifications from the University of Otago are highly respected.
- Network with, and learn from, people with skills and knowledge in areas that can open up opportunities for you.
- Research-informed teaching from our lecturers represents a wide range of disciplines.
- Public health is exciting and challenging; dealing with complex impacts on population health.