Māori Centre - Te Huka Mātauraka
Tēnei rā te mihi atu ki a koe, otirā, ki a koutou katoa kua tae mai ki tēnei wāhanga o te ipurangi kimi kōrero ai mō ngā mahi e haria ana i Te Whare Wānanga o Otāgo. Nō reira,nau mai, haere mai . Kia kaha mai ki te kimi i ngā whakamārama mō ngā akoranga e pīrangi ana koe. Ko tō mātou hiahia kei tō mātou nei Whare Wānanga ngā akoranga e hāngai ana ki tāu e hiahia ai.
The Māori Centre is a support service for all students of iwi descent. The Centre aims to encourage Iwi Māori to participate and succeed in tertiary education. The Centre offers support for academic, cultural and social needs from pre-enrolment through to graduation and operates from a kaupapa Māori base (Māori philosophy) and provides services such as:
The Māori Centre will also give you the opportunity to meet other Māori students and whanaunga studying at Otago.
Te Roopu is the Māori Student Association at The University of Otago. As the Māori Student Association on campus we represent all Māori Students. Te Roopu Māori is the parallel student association to (OUSA) Otago University Students Association).
For further information about Te Roopu Māori contact
Māori Student Support Officers - Kaiāwhina Māori
Māori Student Support Officer (Division of Humanities) - Kaiāwhina Māori
Tēnā koutou katoa
Kia ora mai tātou,
Ko Titirangi te maunga
Ko Ūawanui-a-Ruamatua te awa
Ko Horouta te waka
Ko Puketāwai raua ko Hinemaurea ōku marae
Ko Te-Aitanga-ā-Hauiti te hapū
Ko Ngāti Porou te iwi
Ko Tenaya Hera-Maree Brown tōku ingoa.
I am beyond privileged to be given the opportunity to support our tauira (students) Māori in the Humanities Division/ Te Kete Aronui. I am a graduate of the School of Performing Arts and have high hopes to endeavour down a postgraduate teaching pathway. I look forward to meeting our first year tauira, making connections with all our support staff around campus and supporting all Humanities tauira with their academic studies and their journeys at the University of Otago.
As the support person for tauira Māori enrolled in Humanities papers and degrees, my key responsibilities are:
- To liaise with academic departments and support services with respect to any issues relating to you and your course of study
- To act as a point of contact for all Māori students enrolled in Humanities papers and degrees
- To facilitate access to pastoral care, student services, course planning advice within the university
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, feedback or concerns. Please be assured that all information you share will be treated with utmost confidentiality.
Other Roopu on Campus
- Māori Postgraduate Students Association
- Māori Student Support at the School of Business, Division of Commerce
- Māori Support Services - (Division of Sciences)
- Nga Kaiaru Māori - Māori Studies Students Association
- Te Kohanga Māori - Psychology Students Association
- Te Oranga ki Otakou- Māori Medical Students Association
- Te Oranga - Māori Dental Students Association
- Te Whai Putake - Māori Law Students Association
- Zoology - Māori Zoology Students Association