The University of Otago’s VPN (Virtual Private Network) service enables staff to connect to the University’s network from off-campus (e.g., from home or when travelling in New Zealand or overseas). You must have Internet access at your off-campus location to use the University of Otago’s VPN service.
The University of Otago’s VPN service:
- provides a secure and authenticated connection to the University network
- allows your computer to appear to be connected directly into the University network, as if you were on campus
- permits access to restricted services from off-campus (e.g. FinanceOne and central file storage)
- allows you to connect to your office computer from home (once you have set up the remote access/desktop feature on your work computer)
How to get access to the University of Otago's VPN service
Before you can use the University of Otago VPN (UO-VPN) service:
1. Your University staff username needs to be enabled so that you can access the service.
Please apply for VPN access via the Ask IT Customer Portal. You will be prompted to log in with your University username and password which will populate the form with your contact details. Make sure that you have Flash enabled in your web browser. You will also need departmental approval to request this.
If you are a student requiring VPN access, you will need to get a University staff member to make the request on your behalf.
2. You will then need to install Cisco AnyConnect software onto the computer or mobile device that you are using to connect to the VPN service. Please read the following information for help with this:
- Windows (PC) computers
- Mac OS computers (please note that Mac OS X 10.5 and earlier are not able to use the AnyConnect software, and therefore neither can PowerPC based Macs. Please contact AskOtago if you need more information about this)
- Linux computers
- iOS devices
- Android devices