Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Doctor of Music (MusD)

PhD Gown

Subject area

Regulations for the Degree of Doctor of Music (MusD)

  1. Eligibility

    1. The degree shall be awarded for special excellence in musical composition.
    2. Every candidate for the degree must either
      1. have held the degree of Bachelor of Music for at least five years before applying for admission to the degree; or
      2. have been admitted with the status of one who is entitled to proceed to the degree.
    3. A candidate for the degree shall normally be a graduate of the University of Otago or shall have had some other formal academic association with the University.

  2. Application

    1. A candidate must apply for admission to the degree and submit three copies of the work upon which the application is based, along with a statutory declaration identifying the submitted work as original and stating that it has not previously been accepted for another university qualification.
    2. Additional work, published or unpublished, may be submitted in support of the application.
  3. Examination

    1. The submitted work shall be assessed by three examiners, appointed by the Senate on the recommendation of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Humanities), at least one of whom shall be an overseas authority.
    2. Where the examiners cannot agree on a result, they should so report to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Humanities) who shall nominate a referee to advise the Senate.
  4. Variations

    Notwithstanding anything in these regulations, the Senate shall have the discretion to vary any provision set down if, in its opinion, special or unusual circumstances warrant such a variation.

    (1) Prospective applicants are strongly advised to provide details of those compositions which they intend to submit, whereupon the University will advise them whether a case for the award of the degree exists.
    (2) The entry fee of $2,000 (inclusive of GST) shall be submitted to the Director, Graduate Research Services, with the application.

^ Top of page