- Established in 1869 in the city of Dunedin, Otago is New Zealand's first university.
- Otago is ranked in the top 3% of universities in the world.
- The university has grown with the city, and today education is the main focus of the city; 22,000 of the 120,000 residents are students at Otago.
- Dunedin is Australasia's only true student city, and provides an unmatched residential campus life, where you can live in the neighbourhoods with local students and have a true "kiwi" student experience.
- Otago’s extremely beautiful campus is within 10 minutes' walk of Dunedin’s vibrant city centre.
- Dunedin is also on the doorstep many of New Zealand's famed natural environments, from golden sand beaches complete with penguin residents, to vineyards, towering alpine peaks, impressive fjords, and glaciers tumbling through pristine sub-tropical rainforest. The south of the South Island is sure to hold great appeal for the adventure seeking study abroad student.
Applying to Study Abroad at Otago
Study Abroad students can enrol for one or two semesters at the University of Otago independently, or as part of a Study Abroad programme organised by their home university or a Study Abroad placement organisation.
Applying to Otago as a Study Abroad student is a simple process. All you need to do is
- Complete our online application by clicking the Apply Now button on this page
- Attach all necessary supporting documents
- If English is not your first language, you need to meet our undergraduate English requirements
Almost all of Otago's study abroad students choose to live in University Flats. All of the flats are located in the main local student neighbourhoods, and all are within 15 minutes walk of campus and the city centre. We endeavour to place at least one local student in each University Flat, these students are known as "kiwi hosts". This unique living arrangement offers a much higher level of integration with the local student community and is a major benefit of the Otago Study Abroad experience. Every flat houses between 2-6 students, and all are furnished; plus you will have your own bedroom which is also fully furnished with double bed, mattress, desk, chair, and drawers.
Study Abroad Tuition Fees & Estimated Living Costs
Study Abroad Scholarships
- Generation Study Abroad
The University of Otago has committed to the USA’s IIE Generation Study Abroad Initiative to increase the number of American students studying overseas. The University of Otago is proud to support this initiative with scholarships in association with Education New Zealand. Find out more about the Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Awards.
- Dream NEW Scholarships
Education New Zealand and the New Zealand universities offer scholarships for students studying at institutes in the European Union who are wishing to spend a semester in New Zealand. Find out more about Dream NEW Scholarships.
What can I study at Otago?
The information sheets below are designed to provide you with information about some of the papers (courses) that you may be interested in studying at the University of Otago as a Study Abroad student.
- Business (135kb PDF format)
- Media, Film and Communication (173kb PDF format)
- Classes with a New Zealand focus (166kb PDF format)
- Environmental, Marine and Earth Sciences (149kb PDF format)
- Human Health, Nutrition and Biomedical Sciences (114kb PDF format)
- Maths, Statistics, Computer Science and Information Technology (119kb PDF format)
- Psychology and Neuroscience (124kb PDF format)
- Recreation, Sport and Exercise Science (155kb PDF format)
- Summer School (144kb PDF format)
- Tourism and Hospitality Management (139kb PDF format)
Otago International School
For international students looking for a shorter term study option the Otago International School is a three-week programme, taught on our Dunedin campus as a full-credit study option. It is then followed by an independent study period, which can be completed by distance.
In 2017 the Otago International School will run between 26 June and 14 July.