Course Approval is a simple process, and a good oppourtunity for you to discuss your course with an Adviser. The Advisers are seeking to ensure that your course:
- meets programme requirements
- enables you to gain the qualification you want
- is free of timetable clashes
- represents a reasonable workload
For study beginning in the first semester
You must complete Course Approval by:
- 1 February 2013 for Distance Learning and students studying at the Christchurch, Invercargill or Wellington campuses.
- 19 February 2013 for on-campus students
For study beginning in the second semester
You must complete Course Approval by:
- 1 July 2013 for Distance Learning and students studying at the Christchurch, Invercargill or Wellington campuses.
- 4 July 2013 for on-campus students
Note: Students will not have access to all University resources until Course Approval has been completed.
How to complete Course Approval
Course Approval must normally be completed in person at the University in Dunedin.
- Take your Form for Course Approval to your Adviser(s) of Studies
- Obtain signatures from Adviser(s) of Studies
- Sign and submit your form to Enrolment staff by the due date
For programmes with specific entry requirements, which do not normally have any choice of papers to be taken (first year BOH, BRT; second year LLB, BDS, BMLSc, MC ChB, BPharm, BPthy) you do not need an Adviser's signature (unless you are taking a variation form the course or you are taking additional papers) but you must return your form for processing.
Course Approval for second semester is being held on Thursday 4 July between 9:30am and 4pm.
Location of Advisers during the Main Course Approval period
- Arts, Music, Theology and Teaching - Main Common Room, Union Building
- Law - 9th Floor, Richardson Building
- Science, Consumer and Applied Science, Applied Science, Surveying, Biomedical Sciences - Union Hall, Union Building
- Commerce - Upstairs, The Link, Information Services Building
- Health Sciences First Year Courses- Union Hall, Union Building
- DipGrad - Union Hall, Union Building
It may be possible to complete Course Approval before these dates, you should check with individual departments for details.
Students studying on-campus in Dunedin will be posted your Form for Course Approval to the home address you indicated when you submitted your application.
International students studying on-campus collect their Forms for Course Approval from the Castle Lecture Theatre Complex during Course Approval. You will need to present your passport and show your current student visa, along with evidence of compliant insurance policy at this time if you have not already done so.
Students studying by Distance Learning or at the Christchurch, Invercargill or Wellington campuses should post or take their signed form to their programme co-ordinator for approval.
It is your responsibility to ensure that the completed form has been returned to Admissions and Enrolment by 1 February for first semester and full year papers, and by 1 July for second semester papers.
Your Form for Course Approval will be pre-printed with information such as your proposed papers, qualification and address details. If you wish to make changes to your course of study it is possible to do so by amending the form in consultation with an Adviser of Studies.
For students enrolling in programmes subject to the Entry Pathway system, should you wish to change from one of the programmes in this list to another in the list, you will normally be able to do so during Course Approval (subject to normal Course Approval criteria).
University ID Cards
After Course Approval you must obtain a University identification card from the ID Card Office in the Information Services Building. You will need this card to access many of the University's facilities.