|Approved by||Chief Financial Officer|
|Date Procedure Took Effect||16 April 2002|
|Last approved revision||7 December 2021|
|Sponsor||Chief Financial Officer|
|Responsible officer||Financial Controller|
To provide guidance to staff to ensure the University maximises the benefits and minimises the cost of its insurance cover.
This is a University-wide procedure and applies to all University staff and contractors. This includes Council Members and students acting in association with the University.
- Insurance Policies
- The list of Insurance policies and cover held by the University.
- Loss event
- Any event, fact or circumstance which has resulted in or is reasonably likely to result in a loss to the University that could be claimed for under one of the University’s Insurance Policies. For the purposes of this procedure, that excludes events that would be claimed for under the Accident Compensation Act 2001.
- All buildings and equipment (including computers) owned by the University, or on loan or hire to or from the University.
1. Financial Services Division (FSD) responsibilities
- FSD are responsible for the University’s Insurance Policies. This includes monitoring the level of coverage, as well the emergence of new risks to ensure the University has adequate protection. It is important that the University’s manage its insurance contracts in a coordinated, centralised manner to ensure appropriate cover is maintained and insurance costs are minimised.
- The Treasury, Assets and Insurance Accountant is responsible for the day-to-day management and queries relating to those Insurance Policies.
2. Staff responsibilities
- Staff are to be aware of the University’s Insurance Policies and be alert to possible loss events.
Insurance Policies held by the University of Otago (PDF)
- In all instances, as soon as there is an indication a loss event may have occurred, staff must report the event to the Treasury, Assets and Insurance Accountant. Failure to do so could result in any subsequent claims being disallowed.
- In addition to (b), if the loss event relates to the following, you must/may also notify:
- Staff must take reasonable steps to prevent, avoid and minimise losses, even if covered by one of the University’s Insurance Policies.
- University insurance must be arranged through the Treasury, Assets and Insurance Accountant or have prior approval from the Financial Controller. No staff or departments shall arrange insurance otherwise.
- Care of personal property remains the responsibility of staff as it is impracticable to claim for such property under the University’s Insurance Policies.
|Loss type||Must notify||May notify|
|Property Related Losses, including theft||Proctor’s Office |
Tel +64 3 479 5000
|University Owned Motor Vehicles||Custom Fleet 24/7 Assistance |
Tel 0800 11 63 63
|Staff travel||Insurer, Allianz Global Assistance |
|Student travel|| |
Insurer, Allianz Global Assistance
Related policies, procedures and forms
- Travel Planning Procedure
- Travel and Travel Related Costs Policy
- Travel Insurance Claim Form (PDF)
- Motor Vehicle Insurance Claim Form (PDF)
Contact for further information
If you have any queries regarding the content of this policy, procedure or guideline or need further clarification, contact:
The Treasury, Assets and Insurance Accountant