Advanced clinical practice in a mental health nursing context. Critique of practice and the application of research and theoretical principles to mental health nursing practice.
|Paper title||Advanced Mental Health Nursing Practice|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2021 (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,778.00|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$10,570.25|
- NURS 403 or NURX 403
- NURX 404
- Limited to
- MAdvNP, MHealSc, PGCertHealSc, PGDipHealSc
- Students must have had at least two years' clinical experience in a mental health context.
Students are expected to have a minimum of two years' postgraduate clinical experience and be working in a clinical area where they can develop their advanced assessment skills (both physical and psychiatric).
- Teaching staff
- Professor Marie Crowe and Dr Dave Carlyle
- Paper Structure
- There are four workshops over the course of the paper. During the workshops there will be a mixture of small-group discussions, didactic teaching and experiential learning that involves applying theoretical principles to clinical situations.
- Teaching Arrangements
- Four 2-day study workshops in Christchurch: attendance at all workshops is compulsory.
- A list of readings will be provided.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Critical thinking, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will be able to
- Demonstrate advanced assessment and clinical formulation skills
- Demonstrate the ability to critically analyse what constitutes evidence for best practice
- Demonstrate a creative approach to the delivery of mental health nursing care
- Demonstrate expert practice working collaboratively across settings and within an interdisciplinary environment
- Apply advanced-level clinical reasoning processes based on critical analysis of complex clinical situations
- Show effective nursing leadership and an ability to lead change
- Demonstrate an understanding of health/socio-economic policies and nursing practice at local and national levels
- Show scholarly research inquiry into nursing practice in order to provide well-substantiated nursing care