- Counselling or psychotherapy input is available and can be accessed by the student’s general practitioner or through the Associate Dean (Student Affairs). It is subsidised up to NZ$600 per annum. Further funding may be approved via the Associate Dean (Student Affairs).
- Alternative services:
- Medical Protection Society (MPS) offers free membership to medical students and free access to counselling with a psychologist
- Primary Health Organisations. Your GP may refer you for up to 6 free sessions with a counsellor attached to the practice
- Psychiatric Emergency service (Crisis Resolution) Phone +64 3 364 0482 or 0800 920 092
- International students Counselling can be accessed via your GP or the Associate Dean (Student Affairs) and should be covered via health insurance
Note: Other private specialist referrals are not covered under the levy. However if a student is struggling to pay for health costs they can discuss funding with Associate Professor Jan McKenzie.