Qualitative and quantitative research, designing research projects, ethical issues, survey methods, quantitative data analysis, statistics, types of data, data presentation, critical appraisal, research frameworks, comparison of methodologies.
|Paper title||Research Methods|
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,889.00|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$10,674.00|
- AVMX 785
- Limited to
- MAvMed, MHealSc, PGDipAeroRT, PGDipHealSc, PGDipOccMed, MPHC, MTravMed, MGP
Healthcare professionals currently employed, or interested in work, in the aviation medicine or wider healthcare industry.Enrolments for this paper are limited, and it requires departmental permission. View more information about limitations of enrolment.
If you have not already done so, please contact the department for course advice before selecting your programme, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- More information link
- View more information on the Department of Occupational and Aviation Medicine Unit's website
- Teaching staff
- Course Director: Julie Myers
- Paper Structure
This paper covers:
Choosing a research topic, design and method
Data-gathering: qualitative and quantitative methods
Analysis and writing up: qualitative and quantitative research
Practical aspects of research
Critical evaluation of qualitative and quantitative research
- Teaching Arrangements
This is a fully distance-taught paper and is run each year in the first semester.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy, Information
literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork, global perspective, lifelong learning,
scholarship, communication, critical thinking, self-motivation, teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
The learning outcomes for this paper are that students who successfully complete this paper will be able to:
- Critically appraise and synthesise literature pertinent to a specific research problem.
- Use basic statistical concepts and terminology accurately
- Describe a qualitative methodological approach appropriate for a specific research problem
- Apply appropriate ethical principles to the conduct of research
- Write a methodologically-sound postgraduate research proposal
Distance taught through the Aviation Medicine programme, University of Otago, Wellington
The main purpose of this paper is to provide students with a clear understanding of the principles of scientific research and how to apply them, enabling them to plan and undertake a research project in practice. The key educational goals for the course mean that on completing the course, students should be able to: find, read and critically appraise research articles; identify and address key ethical issues; and understand research methods including how to develop and frame research questions, collect and analyse data appropriately, and develop a research proposal.
This course is entirely distance taught via an online teaching platform, webinars and online forums.
|Three written assignments||50% total|
|On-line forum contributions||10%|
|Final written assessment (in lieu of an exam)||40%|
Occupational and Aviation Medicine, University of Otago, Wellington
Tel 04 385 5590