The Quality Advancement Committee is a committee of Senate. The Committee acts as a forum for the discussion and promotion of developments in academic quality assurance and quality enhancement, whether internally driven or externally indicated.
Terms of Reference
- To undertake critical reflection on the University’s commitment to academic quality with a focus on the key processes used for evaluating the quality of academic activity.
- To engage with staff, students and other interested parties to foster networks that promote and raise the awareness of the significance of academic quality processes throughout the University.
- To identify key elements that should form part of the University’s quality advancement framework and oversee and monitor developments in relation to this activity.
- To consider reports on the implementation of quality improvement programmes such as the internal reviews programme, core institutional surveys, and quality improvement grant funding.
- To contribute to, and take a leadership role in, the University’s preparations for external Academic Quality Agency (AQA) academic audits and to provide advice, input and support in relation to this activity.
- To consider and comment on the University’s academic audit reports, follow-up reports and the processes put in place for monitoring the implementation of academic audit outcomes.
- To identify examples of good practice and other areas requiring improvement to communicate within the University and any issues for further consideration by the Vice-Chancellor, Senate or other University committees, arising from the terms of reference above.
|Composition||Member||Expiry date (if applicable)|
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) (Convener)||Professor Helen Nicholson||Ex-officio|
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research & Enterprise) or nominee||Professor Richard Blaikie||Ex-officio|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee) of the Division of Commerce||Dr Viktoria Kahui||31 December 2022|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee) of the Division of Health Sciences||Associate Professor Stephanie Woodley||31 December 2022|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee) of the Division of Humanities||Dr Simon Connell||31 December 2024|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee) of the Division of Sciences||Professor Niels Kjaergaard||31 December 2023|
|Director, International||Jason Cushen||Ex-officio|
|Director, Student and Academic Services||Claire Gallop||Ex-officio|
|Head, Student Experience||Jo Gibson||Ex-officio|
Two members appointed by Senate
|Associate Professor Jackie Hunter||31 December 2022|
|Associate Professor Lynn McBain||31 December 2022|
|Director (or nominee), Strategy, Analytics and Reporting Office||Mr Kevin Maley||31 December 2024|
|Head (or nominee), Higher Education Development Centre||Professor Kerry Shepherd||31 December 2024|
|Dean, School of Graduate Research||Professor David Baxter||Ex-officio|
|Director, Quality Advancement||Margaret Morgan||Ex-officio|
|OUSA representative||Caitlin Hancy||31 December 2022|
|Co-opted||Professor Tim Cooper||31 December 2022|
|Māori and Pacific representatives||TBC|
|Committee Secretary||Carol Forbes (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
The Board has the power to co-opt as required.
Meetings dates for 2022
|QAC meeting dates (Tuesdays at 2:00pm)||Deadline for Agenda Item Submission|
|1 February||Monday 24 February|
|3 May||Friday 22 April|
|2 August||Monday 25 July|
|1 November||Friday 21 October|