The Scholarships and Prizes Committee is a sub-committee of Senate, with oversight of University scholarships and Prizes.
Terms of Reference
- To provide leadership and strategic advice on matters related to scholarships and prizes;
- To submit such recommendations as it deems necessary to the Senate on policy and rules relating to the award of scholarships and prizes in the University, including proposals for new or amended scholarships and prizes;
- To approve the award of University scholarships and prizes as delegated;
- To recommend the award of other such scholarships and prizes as may be entrusted to it;
- To provide oversight of the scholarship and prize programmes at the University of Otago, including monitoring of the allocation of funds;
- To monitor candidates awarded University of Otago scholarships and grant approvals or make other decisions as are permitted by the regulations for such scholarships;
- To select candidates for nomination for national external scholarships;
- To report an annual list of scholarships and prizes to Senate;
- To delegate its functions as appropriate.
|Composition of the Board||Member|
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Enterprise) (Convenor)||Professor Richard Blaikie||Ex officio|
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)||Professor Phil Bremer (Acting DVC Academic)||Ex officio|
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (External Engagement)||Professor Tony Ballantyne||Ex officio|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee), Division of Commerce||Professor Maree Thyne (Acting PVC)||Ex officio|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee), Division of Health Sciences||Professor Patricia Priest (Acting PVC)|
Alternate: Professor Chrys Jaye
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee), Division of Humanities||Professor Jessica Palmer||Ex officio|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee), Division of Sciences||Professor Richard Barker|
Alternate: Professor Brendan McCane
|Dean, Graduate Research School||Professor David Baxter||Ex officio|
|Manager, Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships,|
Division of External Engagement
|Ben Rickerby||Ex officio|
|Peter Boston Manager Postgraduate Scholarships, Prizes and Awards|
|Peter Boston||Ex officio|
|Committee Secretary, Academic Committees and Services||Michelle Bennie|
The University of Otago's representative on the Universities New Zealand Scholarships Committee is Professor David Baxter.
The Scholarships Committee normally meets three times per year, as required.