Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
A supervised independent study resulting in a piece of original work on a specific research question or an advanced critical analysis of existing, area-specific, literature and knowledge.
|Paper title||Supervised Independent Study|
|Teaching period(s)||Full Year
1st Non standard period (4 January 2021 - 30 June 2021) (On campus)
2nd Non standard period (1 July 2021 - 28 December 2021) (On campus)
3rd Non standard period (4 January 2021 - 28 December 2021) (On campus)
4th Non standard period (5 July 2021 - 30 June 2022) (On campus)
5th Non standard period (1 November 2021 - 31 May 2022) (Distance learning)
5th Non standard period (1 November 2021 - 31 May 2022) (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,166.68|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$11,931.47|
- Teaching staff
- Independent study with supervision by academic with appropriate expertise
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Critical thinking, Information literacy.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Identify an appropriate research problem and plan and conduct an investigation on an advanced topic within one of the fields offered within the MAppSc degree
- Employ effective information search strategies
- Undertake a literature review that places the topic within a wider field of knowledge
- Critically analyse a body of knowledge relevant to the research problem
- Select, justify and apply appropriate research methods to the research problem
- Communicate information, arguments, analyses and outcomes