Conducting a review; neonatal paediatric transfers; obstetric transfers; use of new technologies; burns and thermal injury; infectious diseases; remote medical assistance; expedition and remote area support; repatriation from conflict areas; advanced in-flight interventions; platforms for delivering tertiary level specialist care.
This practical paper details the clinical and operational aspects of the transfer of critically ill patients by air.
|Paper title||Specialist Aeromedical Retrieval|
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,938.00|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- Limited to
- MAeroRT, MAvMed, MHealSc (Endorsed)
If you have not already done so, please contact the department for course advice before selecting your programme, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- More information link
View more information on the Department of Occupational and Aviation Medicine Unit's website
- Teaching staff
Paper Tutor: Rocco Lombardi
- Teaching Arrangements
This is a fully distance-taught paper and is taught each year in the first semester.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the paper will be able to:
- Critically appraise the application of emerging hospital-based advanced medical technologies in the pre-hospital and aeromedical environments.
- Describe and address the challenges in the design and training development of specialized and regionalized teams for advanced care transport.
- Identify and address challenges in using new communication technologies to bring advanced diagnostics/specialty consultation to remote areas.
- Describe the challenges and benefits of advanced medical care in remote and austere environments.
- Critically appraise research literature pertinent to the topic under review.
- Write a literature review on a current aeromedical retrieval and transport topic.