Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
An overview of emerging theories, skills and techniques for analysing individual as well as group/team performance.
A mixed analytical approach, using qualitative and quantitative methods, to evaluating and improving performance in sport and exercise.
This paper takes an in-depth look at the patterns of motion that arise in sport performance. Building on some of the knowledge gained in 100- and 200-level, movement and coordination patterns, at the biomechanical level, will be covered in greater detail. Analytical tools such as angle-angle diagrams, phase planes, relative phase and neural networks will be explored, with an emphasis on their qualitative interpretation. Students will be introduced to sports performance analysis and, specifically, to notating core elements of sports matches, methods for recording match events and the technology used to track player movements.
Time will also be spent considering current theoretical backgrounds related to coordination at the biomechanical level, as well as at higher levels (i.e. coordination between individuals). This paper may be used to count toward a Level 1 Performance Analysis Accreditation with the International Society of Performance Analysis of Sport (also see SPEX316 Performance Analysis placement options).
|Paper title||Performance Analysis|
|Subject||Sport, Physical Education and Exercise|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,092.15|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,213.25|
- PHSE 202 or SPEX 201
- PHSE 302, PHSE 502
- Schedule C
Suitable for students interested in sports biomechanics, performance analysis, sport coaching or sports science consultancy.
- More information link
- Teaching staff
Course Coordinator: Dr Peter Lamb
- Paper Structure
The paper is broadly divided into two main categories: sports biomechanics and performance analysis. Under sports biomechanics, biomechanical principles and performance models will be reviewed, and new approaches to investigating coordination and movement variability will be introduced. Topics covered within performance analysis include notational analysis, key performance indicators and player tracking technology.
- Teaching Arrangements
The paper consists of two 50-minute lectures per week and a total of three 3-hour labs.
Three laboratory assignments contribute to 30% of the overall mark; another 30% comes from an extended report; and the final exam is worth 60% of the overall mark.
Bartlett, R., & Bussey, M. (2012). Sports biomechanics: Reducing injury risk and improving sports performance. London: Routledge.
O'Donoghue, P. (2015). An introduction to performance analysis of sport. London: Routledge.
Bartlett, R. (2014). Introduction to sports biomechanics: Analysing human movement patterns. London: Routledge.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking,
Information literacy, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who complete this paper will be able to:
- Think in-depth about the patterns of movement that underlie successful sports performance
- Qualitatively and quantitatively assess sports performance
- Generate reports for expert audiences, such as coaches, sporting bodies or academic journals