Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Preparation of a thesis proposal/preliminary thesis research. Normally taken by students in the papers year for a Master's degree by papers and thesis.
|Paper title||Master's Thesis Preparation|
|Teaching period||Full Year (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,220.68|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- Limited to
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- Teaching staff
- All academic staff involved.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Ethics, Environmental
literacy, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students initiate an independently driven research project during the first year of a two-year Master of Science degree. Research is undertaken within a specific sub-discipline of geology, supervised and advised by one or more academic staff members. Students who complete this course will have learned the skills that they need to complete the second research-focused year of the programme.