Network addressing schemes; network design; and deployment; router configuration; installation and maintenance of network applications; network management protocols; network performance and reliability; secret and public key cryptography; digital signatures and authentication; security and privacy considerations.
This paper explores network management and system administration using Ethernet and Linux as a case study. This is a rewarding paper for people wanting to administer their own small network and their own Linux systems and for those wanting to learn the general skills, principles and methodologies of operating systems, computer networks and security for system/network administrators.
|Paper title||Network Management|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,059.15|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,627.65|
- TELE 202 or COSC 244
- TELE 301
- Recommended Preparation
- COSC 243
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music, Science
- Computer Science Adviser, email@example.com
- More information link
- View more information about COSC 301
- Teaching staff
- Lecturer: Associate Professor Zhiyi Huang
- Paper Structure
- Topics covered include:
- Basic system and network management
- Network cabling and structure
- Wireless networking
- Configuration of network services
- Management of firewalls and routers
- Network security and monitoring
- Lab work 45%
- Practical test 5%
- Final exam 50%
- Teaching Arrangements
- There are two 1-hour lectures and two 2-hour labs per week.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
A laboratory handbook is available online.
- Course outline
- View the course outline for COSC 301
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Critical thinking, Ethics, Information
literacy, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- This paper will enable students to:
- Install and manage a Linux system
- Install and manage a local area network
- Have a sound understanding of computer systems and networks
- Have a deeper understanding of Internet protocols and security issues
- Learn and practise every aspect of system and network administration
- Practise troubleshooting in computer systems and networks
- Develop professional habits as a system and network administrator