Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
This literature-based paper focuses on learning best practice for publication by reading the top-ranked journals in ecology. Workshops will cover: independent research, statistics, scientific writing, modelling and biodiversity conservation.
This literature-based seminar paper is designed to provide exposure to the best practice for science writing and presentation of scientific results in ecology by examining current articles in the ecological literature. The paper will provide a vehicle for keeping up-to-date with the literature and with new methods by carefully examining the newest research articles across a broad range of subject matter in ecology. We will read and discuss recent articles from a group of the highest-impact ecological journals, representing the best current ecological research.
|Paper title||Reading Ecology|
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,348.60|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,967.53|
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- Teaching staff
- Course Co-ordinator: Professor Steve Wing
- Teaching Arrangements
- Weekly 3-hour seminars
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Communication, Critical thinking,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
By the end of the paper students should be able to:
- Dissect a high-quality research article into component parts and understand logic for problem solving
- Understand the uses and limitations of a broad range of statistical tools in ecology and environmental studies
- Develop a research question and break it down into a series of statistical hypotheses
- Critically evaluate the scientific literature
- Give a concise, professional scientific talk