Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
An integrated treatment of mathematics (algebra, matrices, calculus, optimisation) and modelling techniques, with an emphasis on applications.
This paper is a prerequisite for some higher-level finance and economic papers. It assumes a minimal background in mathematics and aims to give the students an introduction to each topic.
|Paper title||Business Mathematics|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1
Semester 2 (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$887.55|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- MATH 102 or MATH 160
- Schedule C
- Teaching staff
Semester one: Anindya Sen
Semester two: Tahir Suleman
- Teaching Arrangements
This paper is taught via lectures and quizzes.
Essential Mathematics for Economics and Business, Teresa Bradley and Paul and Patton, 3rd or 2nd edition.
- Course outline
- View the most recent Course Outline
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, Critical thinking, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper should be able to
- Understand and use equations, formulae and mathematical expressions and relationships in a variety of contexts
- Apply the knowledge in mathematics (algebra, matrices, calculus, optimisation) in solving business problems
- Demonstrate mathematical skills required in mathematically intensive areas in commerce, such as economics and finance
- Demonstrate critical thinking, modelling and problem-solving skills in a variety of contexts