A second course in business statistics with an emphasis on data analysis in finance problems.
The main aim of the paper is to provide students with a course in financial data analysis based on the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
|Paper title||Financial Data Analysis|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$863.25|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,276.80|
- BSNS 102 or BSNS 112 (passed with a grade of at least C+)
- Pre or Corequisite
- FINC 102 or FINQ 102
- ECON 210, STAT 210, STAT 241
- Schedule C
- MATH 170 will be accepted as an alternative to FINC 102 or FINQ 102 when that paper has already been passed or where a student is enrolled for both a BCom and another degree for which MATH 170 is required.
- Teaching staff
To be advised
- Teaching Arrangements
- Lectures (optional help sessions and computer labs)
- Introductory Econometrics Asia-Pacific Edition, by Jeffery Wooldridge, Mokhtarul Wadud and Jenny Lye, Cengage.
- Course outline
- View the course outline for FINC 203
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research and Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes
- Learning Outcomes
- Students will gain an understanding of the properties of variables from financial markets and the pragmatic use of statistics in commerce, emphasising techniques used by financial analysts. While the paper is recommended for students proceeding in Finance, the methodology is perfectly general and will be useful for any business discipline.