An introduction to qualitative and mixed methods approaches to conducting research in Higher Education. Participants explore methodological issues and plan a research project that is the focus of HEDU 510 or HEDU590.
HEDU 503 starts with critical reading in Higher Education, examines research approaches and methods, including the commonly used interview techniques and surveys.
|Paper title||Research in Higher Education|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1
Semester 1 (Distance learning)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,162.75|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- HEDX 503
- Limited to
- PGDipHighE, MHEd
- As one of the principal modes of teaching is on-line learning, all students are required to have access to the internet
Suitable for graduates who are currently teaching in universities and tertiary institutions.
- More information link
- View more information about this paper on the Higher Education Development Centre website
- Teaching staff
Lecturer: Dr Nave Wald
- Paper Structure
Using individual and peer supervision, participants explore methodological issues and plan a research project that is the focus of HEDU 510 or HEDU 590.
- Teaching Arrangements
The Distance Learning offering of this paper is taught remotely.
Lectures, seminars and interactive discussions
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Course outline
Available on request from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Critical thinking, Research.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will
- Explore selected methodologies used in higher education
- Understand the steps involved in designing a research study, beginning with the development of an appropriate question through to identifying the appropriate methodology and method(s)
- Understand the role of the researcher and ethical issues in research