Explores the relationship between nutrition and sporting performance and health. Includes examination of topical sports nutrition issues and application of sports nutrition principles for the dietary management of athletes and active individuals.
Nutrition and dietary intakes play an important role in sporting performance and health. This paper examines topical sports nutrition issues and the application of sports nutrition for the dietary management of athletes and active individuals to optimise health and performance.
|Paper title||Applied Sports Nutrition|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,141.35|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- One of HUNT 221, HUNT 222, HUNT 223, HUNT 232, HUNT 241, HUNT 242, HUNT 243, HUNT 245; or one of PHSE 202, PHSE 203; or one of SPEX 201, SPEX 202, SPEX 203, SPEX 204, SPEX 205
- HUNT 355
- Schedule C
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
Classes will be interactive with practical components.
- Teaching Arrangements
One 3-hour practical interactive class each week.
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
Key research papers will be used to complement lecture material. These will be available through Blackboard.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, Critical thinking, Ethics, Environmental literacy, Information literacy,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
At the completion of HUNT 345, students will be able to:
- Evaluate the use of sports foods and supplements in a range of situations
- Design a meal plan that complies with food safety standards and that meets optimal nutritional needs of athletes whilst traveling and overseas
- Apply dietary assessment methods to monitor and evaluate nutrition interventions for athletes and active individuals
- Design a research project, with guidance, to investigate a nutrition problem for active and athletic populations and provide results in an appropriate manner
- Assess, implement and evaluate a diet plan for athletes and active individuals