Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
A lecture- and seminar-based paper that aims to develop an understanding of the role of nutrition in selected health problems, and to develop research-related writing, seminar presentation, analytical and critical appraisal skills.
This is a self-directed learning and seminar-based paper, which aims to develop the ability to articulate, interpret and evaluate research on a range of selected current topics in nutrition.
|Paper title||Nutrition and Human Health|
|Teaching period(s)||Second Semester, Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,673.50|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,967.53|
- More information link
- View more information on the Department of Human Nutrition's website
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
This paper explores current issues in human nutrition. It is designed to improve your knowledge, and critical analysis and communication skills.
- Teaching Arrangements
- The paper consists of two 2-hour sessions per week.
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
Students will be provided with readings.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding,
Ethics, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- The purpose of this paper is to familiarise and engage the student to examine and
discuss selected research areas and topics at an advanced level. In doing so, students
- Learn how to critically analyse and interpret original articles published in a wide variety of journals
- Strengthen their understanding of nutrition concepts and issues presented in the scientific literature
- Learn how to construct a research-led teaching lecture and make a professional presentation
- Practise listening, speaking and persuasive skills