2021 information for papers will be published in early September.
An examination of negotiation techniques and strategy. Includes student participation in mock negotiations.
This paper is aimed at familiarising students with theory and research on legal negotiation strategies and techniques and developing students' practical negotiating skills. Class time will be devoted to lecture, class discussion and practical exercises.
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2020, expected to be offered in 2021|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$672.30|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,118.80|
- 96 LAWS points
- Pre or Corequisite
- Any 200-level LAWS paper not already passed
- Limited to
- LLB, LLB(Hons)
- Not all optional papers will be available in any given year.
- Teaching staff
- Associate Professor Selene Mize
- Course materials are provided.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship,
Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy,
Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
The aims of this paper are for students to:
- Improve fluency and confidence in speaking and argumentation skills.
- Improve the quality of written expression.
- Learn and practise skills for defusing tense and potentially hostile situations.
- Experiment with a variety of different approaches to negotiation and, based on this experience, develop a personal style for negotiation.