Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
The study of famous Māori composers, the revival of some of their compositions and the execution of these compositions through high-level performance.
This paper is offered as one of the Māori Performing Arts papers. The paper focuses on Māori composers and compositions and the execution of these through performance. It will contribute to the Māori performing arts stream of Te Tumu, further developing performance skills from MAOR 108, Waiata: Te Tīmatanga, as well as the extension of knowledge on the performance environment, the composer and the composition.
|Paper title||Ngā Manu Taki|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,092.15|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,073.40|
- MAOR 108
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
Tel: 03 479 8674
- More information link
- View more information on the Te Tumu website
- Teaching staff
Teaching staff to be confirmed.
- Paper Structure
- Internal assessment 100%
- Teaching Arrangements
- Includes a Wānanga
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Cultural understanding, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students, on completion of the paper, will be able to
- Demonstrate knowledge of some eminent composers and their compositions
- Demonstrate knowledge of how to perform a range of compositions using appropriate actions, facial expressions, body movements and voice control
- Demonstrate the ability to work together as a unit to perform a high-standard bracket of items
- Demonstrate the ability to reflect the meaning of the compositions and enhance the performance through physical animation, vocal projection and the application of customary Māori performance accompaniments
- Appreciate the pressure of preparation for a competitive performance bracket