Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
A full-time placement undertaken in an approved medical virology laboratory over a period of one semester.
|Paper title||Clinical Virology|
|Subject||Medical Laboratory Science|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester, Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,209.00|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$20,781.50|
- MELX 403
- Limited to
- Teaching staff
Paper Convener: Dr Warren McBurney
Supervisor: Clinical diagnostic laboratory staff
- Paper Structure
- New and emerging viral disease threats
- The lifecycle of HIV with reference to targets for approved antiretroviral drugs
- Ther Herpesviridae: classification, pathology, epidemiology and laboratory diagnosis
- The pathology and laboratory diagnosis of respiratory virus infections
- Teaching Arrangements
- This paper is a 15-week, distance-taught placement working in a clinical diagnostic laboratory within New Zealand and Australia.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking,
Cultural understanding, Ethics, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will
- Demonstrate in-depth learning of selected current and emerging topics in virology
- Be able to carry out in-depth literature searches on the topics, collate and critically evaluate the information, and produce a cohesive written report
- Demonstrate a professional attitude in their clinical placement and the ability to work as a team member
- Extend their knowledge base in diagnostic virology techniques
- Be able to follow laboratory protocols set out by their host laboratory
- Develop an understanding of quality-control issues in the workplace