A supervised research project up to 15,000 words involving the development, implementation and reporting of an original topic in the student’s area of professional interest.
|Paper title||Research Project|
|Subject||Medical Laboratory Science|
|Points||45 points 45 points 45 points|
|Teaching period(s)||Full Year, Full Year, Full Year|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,286.25|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$15,544.50|
- Limited to
- MELS 510 and 580 are taught at the Dunedin School of Medicine and the Christchurch and Wellington Schools of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, not all 500-level MELS papers may be available at all three Schools of Medicine in any given year. Contact the Medical Laboratory Science Programme Director for further details.
- Every applicant shall be a graduate in Medical Laboratory Science, or have a qualification acceptable to the Board of Studies in Medical Laboratory Science. This paper can only be taken as part of a Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science.
- Teaching staff
Convenor: Associate Professor Heather Brooks
- Paper Structure
- Students have a choice of disciplines in which to complete their project from the
- Transfusion science
- Chemical pathology
- Diagnostic molecular pathology
- Teaching Arrangements
Offered from Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin campuses.
- Text books are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical
thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy, Information literacy,
Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Able to access and critically analyse the scientific literature related to the project
- Able to plan and implement experimental methods
- Able to develop new methodology and/or adapt existing methodology
- Develop further laboratory skills at an advanced level
- Able to write a comprehensive and logical account of the research project in correct scientific style