A supervised research project up to 15,000 words involving the development, implementation and reporting of an original topic in the student’s area of professional interest.
|Paper title||Research Project|
|Subject||Medical Laboratory Science|
|Teaching period(s)||Full Year
Full Year (On campus)
Full Year (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,528.13|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- Limited to
- MELS 580 is taught at the Dunedin School of Medicine and the Christchurch and Wellington Schools of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, not all 500-level MELS papers may be available at all three Schools of Medicine in any given year. Contact the Medical Laboratory Science Course Director for further details.
- Every applicant shall be a graduate in Medical Laboratory Science, or have a qualification acceptable to the Board of Studies in Medical Laboratory Science. This paper can only be taken as part of a Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science.
- Teaching staff
Paper Convener: Course Director
- Paper Structure
Students have a choice of disciplines in which to complete their project from the following list:
- Transfusion science
- Chemical pathology
- Diagnostic molecular pathology
- Teaching Arrangements
Offered from Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin campuses.
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical
thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy, Information literacy,
Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will:
- Be able to access and critically analyse the scientific literature related to the project
- Be able to plan and implement experimental methods
- Be able to develop new methodology and/or adapt existing methodology
- Develop further laboratory skills at an advanced level
- Be able to write a comprehensive and logical account of the research project in correct scientific style