Clinical evaluation, assessment and management of a wide range of musculoskeletal disorders. Focuses on a clinical approach to musculoskeletal problems as they present in primary care.
'Musculoskeletal Disorders' is a key paper in the musculoskeletal suite of papers. It covers the basic medical and orthopaedic disorders commonly encountered in musculoskeletal management. It focuses on a clinical approach to musculoskeletal problems as they present in primary care. The modules aim to provide a firm clinical science platform relevant to practising musculoskeletal management in primary care. While not completely exhaustive in its content, the major diseases and disorders affecting the musculoskeletal system are covered in detail.
|Paper title||Musculoskeletal Disorders|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,425.25|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,934.75|
- Limited to
- MHealSc, PGCertHealSc, PGCertMSM, PGCertPHC, PGDipHealSc, PGDipMSM, PGDipPHC, PGDipPhty, MPhty
- Appropriately qualified health professionals such as medical practitioners, physiotherapists, nurses, occupational therapists, osteopaths, chiropractors, etc.
- More information link
- Teaching staff
- Convenor Dr Jim Borowczyk, plus invited specialists for various modules with assistance from a range of other specialists, including rheumatologists, orthopaedic surgeons and geriatricians.
- Paper Structure
MSME 703 consists of eight modules, taught sequentially using online resources (via Blackboard), readings and online teaching sessions via Zoom Videoconferencing covering topics such as:
- Fracture assessment and management
- Wound and soft tissue assessment and management
- Diseases and disorders of bone
- Arthritic conditions, including osteoarthritis and inflammatory arthritis
- Musculoskeletal tumours and infections
- Paediatric and adolescent musculoskeletal disorders
- Teaching Arrangements
- Material is delivered electronically and is distance taught. There are eight fortnightly online teaching sessions.
There is no single textbook that encompasses the material covered in this paper. However, a useful reference text is:
- Luqmani R., Robb J., Porter D., Keating J. "Textbook of Orthopaedics, Trauma and Rheumatology".
This is available to buy online.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Scholarship, Critical thinking, Information literacy.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will have developed a broad understanding of the critical aspects of disorders affecting the musculoskeletal system. The issues involved in recognising and managing these conditions in primary care are discussed and developed.