Assists students wishing to work within the music industry to utilise their skills effectively in a professional environment. Topics include marketing, promotion, income tax liabilities, use of the Internet, contractual issues in recording and publishing, and career longevity.
This paper addresses issues concerning self-promotion in a range of professional environments and provides valuable insight into use of the Internet as a marketing tool, recording and publishing contracts, copyright issues, event management and tax issues for the self-employed music entrepreneur. You will also learn how to present personal and organisational profiles.
|Paper title||The Music Profession|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2018, expected to be offered in 2019|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,038.45|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,212.00|
- 18 100-level MUSI or THEA points
- MUSI 385
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- More information link
- View more information on the Department of Music, Theatre and Performing Arts' website
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Associate Professor Rob Burns
- Paper Structure
- Please contact the Department of Music, Theatre and Performing Arts office for a copy of the most recent paper profile.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Critical thinking, Information
literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will
- Further develop knowledge of the music industry and its associated organisations, with a view to entering the music profession
- Utilise theoretical and practical skills while specialising in an area of their choice that will be relevant to future career prospects
- Develop skills in communication in order to create employment opportunities within the music profession
- Further develop knowledge of business principles relating to publishing, marketing and distribution in the industry