Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Options for giving political expression to the good and satisfying demands through the market. How humane ideals, political prudence and economics are necessary to create a just world.
This paper examines thinkers from Plato, Marx and Mill to the present to trace the transition from giving political expression to the good life toward satisfying demands. The developments it analyses are the degeneration of moral philosophy and the rise of the market economy. We single out Tawney as a thinker who saw the need to tame the market rather than abolish it. The moral: thinkers who cannot argue economics cannot face the greatest challenge of the modern world - namely, how to humanise market capitalism.
|Paper title||The Good Society and the Market (Advanced)|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2021 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$913.95|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,073.40|
- 18 200-level POLS points
- POLS 205
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- May not be credited together with POLS233 passed in 2010-2017.
- An interest in national and international affairs is an advantage.
- Teaching staff
Teaching staff to be advised
- Paper Structure
- Two thirds of the assessment will be based on the final exam; one third will be based on a research essay.
Textbooks to be advised
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper should acquire
- Knowledge of what humane ideals imply about perfecting society
- A basic grasp of the market economics needed to evaluate how the economy must be "regulated" to humanise it
- Specialist knowledge about certain great thinkers and the challenges of the present - for example, climate change