2021 information for papers will be published in early September.
An introduction to Māori understandings of physical education and health, comprised of four components: Māori worldview; Treaty of Waitangi; Kaupapa Māori; Applications.
|Paper title||Te Pū o te Ora Māori Physical Education and Health|
|Subject||Sport, Physical Education and Exercise|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$936.15|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,061.45|
- 72 points
- PHSE 320
- Recommended Preparation
- SPEX 101 or SPEX 102 or MAOR 102
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music, Science
- More information link
- Teaching staff
Course Coordinator: Dr Anne-Marie Jackson
- Paper Structure
The paper is focused on three key wāhanga or topics. These are: (1) Te Ao Māori / Māori worldview; (2) Tiriti o Waitangi / Treaty of Waitangi, kaupapa Māori theory and methodology; and (3) Applications of Māori PE and health. In this paper we ask students to:
- Examine perspectives of Māori PE and health.
- Consider appropriate applications for Māori PE and health.
- Relate theoretical concepts
to current issues.
No textbooks required
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship,
Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy,
Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
By the end of this paper the student will have had:
- An opportunity to engage with some of the theoretical constructs of a Māori worldview.
- An understanding of the relevance of the Tiriti o Waitangi for Māori PE and health.
- An introduction to kaupapa Māori theory and methodology and acquired tools, which will help you in "practice" with Māori.
- An improved understanding of the platform of your thinking for Māori PE and health.
- An ideas in relation to a contemporary Māori PE and health issue in a group.
- An understanding of course material through noho marae.