An overview of advanced probability theory and the classical theory of statistical inference.
|Paper title||Probability and Inference 3|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,098.05|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,352.87|
- More information link
- View more information for STAT 411
- Teaching staff
- To be confirmed.
- Paper Structure
- Probability theory
- Random variables
- Distributions and models
- Point estimation
- Interval estimation
- Hypothesis testing
- Likelihood-based inference
- Teaching Arrangements
- Three 1-hour lectures per week, plus a weekly tutorial session.
- Required text: Statistical Inference by George Casella and Roger Berger (2002: Second Edition, Duxbury).
- Course outline
- View course outline for STAT 411
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will develop
- A firm grounding in the fundamentals of advanced statistical theory
- An understanding as to how such theory can be used in practice
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.